Zinc Alloys

Melting Points, Pouring Tips and Properties... Metal is the Foundries Lifeblood.
Jammer

Zinc Alloys

Post by Jammer »

I've been reading about some of the Zinc Alloys such as Zamak 3, 5, 8, and 27. I thought Zamak 27 would be one of the best for casting and strength, but it appears, Z5 and Z8 look like the best all around alloys for sand casting. A melting point of 710F makes it simple to melt and shouldn't cause the zinc to burn off. I'm interested in seeing how liquid it is and if it will fill small molds without much head pressure. Looks easier to work with than Aluminum but not quite as strong. It looks like it will plate well and anodize well also.
Does anyone have any experience with these. I looks like it would be simple to make our own alloy and I have about 6 pounds of door hardware I thought were brass but appear to be some kind of Zinc alloy. I may go out and melt some after lunch.

http://www.eazall.com/gravitycasting.aspx
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Re: Zinc Alloys

Post by Nudge »

The only thing that I have found with zinc alloys is it has a high shrink rate. It is easy to overcome with a big shrink bob other than that it is better to mill, drill and turn. I didnt need extra head pressure with the parts I have made. I think it is because it is heavier than plain alli.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!