Labor day Weekend

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
dallen

Labor day Weekend

Post by dallen »

For some out there in Metal Casting Land, this is Labor Day weekend, a holiday here in the States. I hope that everyone even those that its not a holiday for to have a safe and pleasant weekend.

The damn heat finally broke here in Oklahoma anyway its only suppose to be like 95, and after 61 days of over a hundred degrees that feels like a freaking blizzard outside today, and it rained just enough that the grass is wet, so I'm gonna fire the Pig up (for those that don't know thats my big furnace) and melt some iron an try some of the stuff I got from Jammer. See what real foundry chemicals will do with some neck iron.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Re: Labor day Weekend

Post by Jammer »

I usually celebrate Labor day by working but, I actually have it off this year. I don't know what to do with myself. The electric is cheaper on weekends and holidays so we work them all. Orders are picking up so we are back to 24/7, I guess that's good but, my new work place is a lot different than I'm used to. While I was off sick they moved my lab up to the furnace floor and built a little room for it to try to control temp and humidity. It seems to be working OK but, the temp swings from 66 to 78 F in the lab, I don't know how the machines stay accurate or if they are..? :? :cry: Here's a few pictures of my new work area, yesterday it was 150F out on the floor.

Here's my new work suit, instead of a tee-shirt and jeans. This isn't me but I wear the same PPE.

This is 50 tons on steel going into the ladle. Once it's full it rolls over to the trim station and I take a temp and pull a sample. I analyse the sample and then go back out and add whatever i need to bring the steel into spec, or at least as close as I can... :P The 2 chutes on either side is where they add the Carbon and Manganese during the tap. I usually only have to tweak it a little at the stir station. I was going to take a lot more pics but my battery ran dead. :roll:

I am fortunate to be working and I do like my job, it's just not something I'm going to be able to do very long. I'm looking at other areas of the plant where I can be useful. Let the kids play in the heat.

Happy Labor Day, Everyone.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

labour day here in Queensland Australia is the first weekend in may, I do wish you all a happy and safe long weekend

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Since I live in a tourist area long weekends mean stay at home ;) The lake is crowded and the roads best avoided.

My birthday was last weekend too, did go out to dinner with the family and the restaurant was surprisingly quiet which was nice.

Pretty much just another work day for me. Thats one of the things about working from home, you work when you have good weather and while it has been a little warm couldnt ask for it to be much nicer.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Happy birthday for last weekend Harry ;) you'll be an decrepit old fart before you know it :roll:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Good Lord Jammer! I get heat exhaustion working around my little furnace. 50 tons of hot iron; I can't imagine. That is for the young guys.

Richard
dallen

Post by dallen »

and people think that the 300 degree rocks I play with it hot,

what you doing Harry trying to catch up with me, you do that you will be an old man,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Those are awesome pictures Jammer. I think you start a industrial thread and put all the picture you can come up with in there, never get tired of seeing those.

Thanks Mike, had a great weekend, cast three out of four days :) Getting caught back up again and can get back to work on bringing power to my shop. Been buying bits and pieces for awhile and started burying 100' of #0 wire to the pole, about 30' more of trench and I will have 100 amp service to the subpanel in the shop, have 250' ea of 12/2 and 14/2 for outlet and lighting circuits and a crapload of boxes and conduit. Going to be so nice to get off the extension cords that have been running my shop for the last couple years.

David, I'll keep chasing but I dont think I will ever catch up.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Your right on with the pictures Harry, always enjoy looking at them.

Rent you a ditch witch to dig that trench with get it over and done with otherwise it will make an old man out of you a lot sooner than you want too.

You just keep on chasing,

barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Hey Jammer, do I need such fancy clothes for my little foundry or will leather work ok?

Thank you

Barry