Labor day Weekend

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Labor day Weekend

Post by Harry »

dallen wrote:Rent you a ditch witch to dig that trench with get it over and done with otherwise it will make an old man out of you a lot sooner than you want too.
Too late on that one, spent twenty years on a shovel and never one to lean on it either. I have a friend who bought a ditchwitch recently for $1200 and he said he planned to sell it when he was done putting in pipes at his place so I told him to let me know.

I have my big wire in from the pole now, working on the subpanel and conduit in the shop. This is going to be such a transformation in my shop, I had been running everything on a 100' #10 extension cord on a 20 amp breaker for a few years now and always watching how much I run at any time. I bought a dust collector for my cnc machine over a year ago but have not hooked it up because it wouldnt run with the machine and the last thing you want is a tripped breaker while in the middle of hours long cut file.

Sometimes when working in the foundry the compressor would kick on and if the muller was running too it would be lights out and a run up to the pole to reset the breaker. Now with 100 amps at my disposal I will finally be able to put in a plug for my 220 wire feed and not have to start the generator any time I want to weld something. In case you cant tell I am pretty excited about getting all of this together. It has been a long time and a considerable amount of money for me, have to piecemeal things like this together until I have most of it on hand then once I get it rolling I squeak out the last few dollars to finish up somewhere. I am lucky I had that big wire to run from the pole as it would have cost about $500 to run a #4 wire that far which is what is needed for that run to carry 100 amps, the wire I have is #1 which means it is double whats needed but no harm in that.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

yep sounds like your pretty enthused there, I had plenty of power out too my shed but somewhere between the house and the shed the neutral leg has decided to come into, gopher or just plane old corrosion got to it, so now all I get is either 110 or 220 depends on how I have it hook in the mains box at the house.

now if I want to have both at the same time all I gotta do is drive a ground rod in to mother nature and hook up a ground at the shed. then I got both 220 and 110 but the only thing I use 11o for is the drill press and a few hand tools and my furnace blower, so I just plug an extension cord in at the well which is about half way between the shed and the house and I'm good to go.

Well its time to jump on the scooter and go get some supper. Talk at ya later, if the boss man don't send me somewhere
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

You can never have too much power or too many outlets, and I need more outlets :?

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Your right one can never have too meny power outlets.
This is my work bench :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

lol omg nudge, thats insane...and awesome. I literally only have 4 outlets in my garage. It sucks, BAD. I have to play musical outlest when I have the charger for my cordless tools plugged in, as well as the stand grinder, and now I want to go use my jigsaw or hand drill etc, time to start swapping cords…aarrggh. Whenever we get around to buying our land and building my workshop (likely years from now :/), outlets will be EVERYWHERE…220 for everyone. It will be grand :D
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison