Business failure

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
HT1

Business failure

Post by HT1 »

Well I gave it a serious try, and just cannot make enough money casting to make ends meet. the problem was not in the casting or patternmaking side of the house, but in getting items in the hands of potential customers, I suppose Marketing killed me in the end. Ebay was a dismal failure, I never though it was a good idea,

So I'm going to take some serious time off, go hike the Appalacian trail, do some labor over the summer to put a little seed money in the bank, and give it another try next fall. Don t worry if I seem to disappear, I'm just off enjoying other things,

Want to thatnk Everyone here for the help, and insperation

V/r HT1(SW) Henry Davis USN (ret)
DavidF

Re: Business failure

Post by DavidF »

Sorry to hear that Henry, were you casting parts to sell or casting parts for people? If I were trying to make some bucks I would probably be making stuff then selling it on e bay. Model engines be it steam or gas allways pulls in some money from ebay, especially a steam engine that can propell a small boat....
HT1

Post by HT1 »

Click My signature to see what I was making, I was making Plaques mostly. eBay was all but a bust, I moved alot for a few months, then things just dried up, I know there are people out there that want what I offer, Just cannot seem to find them
"shrug"
castaway

Post by castaway »

I have seen your plaques so I know you have the skills it's just the product. You probably have seen my odd collection of items I reproduced in castings. I have jobs I can't get to now. You just have to look for the items that have market. I just completed 3 different old car plaques for locals that belonged to car clubs back in the 50's and 60's. It all started about a year ago when a guy came to me to have me reproduce a plaque using his old one that said "Stokers" Saginaw. Did 10 for them then this year another group stopped in to see if their old plaque could be redone also. This one was "Piston Poppers" Saginaw. Then in another week came the "Hollywoods" Saginaw but no original plaques to work from so I reworked the poppers to get the same basic shape. This followed with "North Slicks" Saginaw. How this all came about was from a Friday night hotrod meet where they have a get together at this mall parking lot to show off their cars and shot the bull. Once they saw the plaques from their old clubs it took off.

It's not big cash but for a couples hours work it got me $725 minus materials. I don't figure to see anymore to show up so don't plan on it and get back to jobs I know are out there to be done. I think your plaques are one offs and have a limited market but on the same token don't take on items that are sold at the dollar stores. They just need to unique that no ones has done yet. I never got it right the first time either so don't get depressed on this one venture there at still tons of other ventures in casting still out there just waiting to be done. Bob
Last edited by castaway on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The last couple of months of the year are always though on small business while everyone is storing all of their cash at the Walmart layaway, great for retail but can be a real drag for the kinds of stuff we do unless you have something that can tie to the holiday as in gifts people would like to get for someone.

You just got your feet wet in this Henry and I know you already know this but it takes time to build a business. Your retirement has barely started so certainly go out and do those things you will enjoy then roll your sleeves and get back here and back to work because like Bob said you have the talent and the tools along with the work ethic it takes to go from wanting to make something to actually making something.

I for one look forward to seeing your continued posting on projects and methods as you have a lot to share from your years in this.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Henry,... you do good work. You just do it for the wrong folks. Who loves bronze and brass more than anybody?... MILITARY! If you live near a military installation you got thousands of swing'n dicks with ego's bigger than life, all of 'em boast'n how their unit, their MOS, blah, blah, blah, is better than the others. If you can sell yourself with as much quality as what you put into your work you should be able to design yourself a flyer to mail out to each unit commander on that installation advertising your services for things like "soldier of the month awards", Unit awards for competitive achievment, retirement awards, hell... there's units out there that would jump on your skills in a nanno second to produce their insignia as trailer hitch covers. Whatever you can think up you feel would be the cat's ass in design, send one along with your flyer as a sample (small scale, of course). There's your seed... request to speak with him in person about ideas you can help him with. ALL UNITS go outta their way to recognize members of their own with some kind of memorbilia the guy can take with him for life. That, my friend, is a never ending flow. Do it for one unit, other units will see it and seek you out. That's a fact.

Go do your walkabout and mull it over. Get creative. More important, if you really want to do this for profit you need to get it in your head it ain't the economy, it's the wrong folks you've been dealing with. Right now, these guys have no idea you even exist... make them aware... and not just with talk. Be professional, be assertive, give them a good bargain... they'll come to you like folks do to a good tattoo artist. And bear in mind this, too... that's only one of a million potential customer bases out there. Boat builders (the aluminum boats, that is) also are a good cash cow in this line of business, doin boat cleats, jet pump parts, jet intake boots (between the hull and the jet unit), etc., etc. The orders will be small and easily managed but they will be steady once you deliver a decent product. Them guys will also send folks to you, as well. Also... get on the GSA list (government, both state and federal) for approved services departments and divisions can call upon. It's a few forms to fill out but well worth it i the long run. Eventually some parks and recreation department will have you make'n plaques for points of interest along the highways around your state. Also... contact (in person) the division/department of your state (DOT) that is tasked with inspection and certification of bridges every year. Every bridge has a date plate made of bronze to their size, font, and alloy. Make up a gang pattern of six because each bridge has two plates (one at each end of the bridge). They're small... no one sees them (about 3"x5") but you can sell them for $50 each and barely break sweat doin them. They usually order six at a time, about every three to four months. All you have to do is type set the bridge number onto the pattern along with the Year date and the rest of the narative remains consistant. You get enough of clients like this on the hook and you'll be draw'n in a 60K income in no time and you won't have to be knock'n on doors anymore to introduce yourself. That'll give you ample time to redirect efforts and new ideas to capture even more markets that you nurture with your confidence. With what I see of your work you seriously need to be doing this on a more production scale and making product to help adorn the city and state you live in. And one other thought... if you know of someone who died, speak with their family and offer to do an interment marker for their grave. If they like it, that flood gate will open as well, as they will pass your name on to every family member they have, including friends. Do another and that reputation will grow exponentially. Just say'n.... ;) I did all this mentioned above (and much, much more) for over 20 years. No one told me how to go about it... I pounded the street and figured it out on my own. One foundry rat to another... there's your sign!! Good luck. We're here if you need support.

Frank
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Great advice Frank.

Henry, if you want help designing a flyer or any other thing of the sort, I'd be happy to help. I am a graphic designer by trade, the drums are my hobby which lead me here...
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Frank those are some really good Ideas.... Henry, maybe you could also teach a class and let people make thier own plaques?? People enjoy learing and would be willing to pay to learn, although insurance might be a bugger.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Another good gig is hook'n up with your local community college that has a sculpture ciriculum. Go over the notion you'll offer your studio for bronze castings (you doing the dangerous stuff, the students providing you the investments) and you'll be amazed how quick they'll jump on that. I did this for years and made a lot of friends with local artists whom I mentored in getting into public arts. I did my best to educate them into building their own equipment but 99% of them opted to come back to me for the service, instead. This biz ain't for the faint hearted or those that are lazy and expect EVERYTHING they do turn out with perfection. It takes as much learn'n to master casting as it does to master art techniques.

On another note... you'll find (on rare occasion) some of the art students in community college to be senior citizens. Even more rare you'll find one or two of 'em with some serious good talent. They have no desire to learn how to cast their own work which is why they plague the art department quarter after quarter to have the art staff and student group do it for 'em. These are folks with damn nice retirements that have nothing better to do with the excess money than sign up for art classes (which they don't need) and use the college's fuel and equipment to cast their work. The admin tend to lean on those individuals to move on after a couple quarters. Someone with your talent can deliver what they need at a reasonable price to suit you both. Seriously.... look into that.
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

FC, youre a treasure trove of Advice! Great stuff!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison