Announcing that I am back to work

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
Rasper

Announcing that I am back to work

Post by Rasper »

We have had some rain. The temperature in my study has dropped to 87 F. (30 C.) at 5:30 pm today, and it's cooler than that outside. Cloudy and some rain drops. We don't have drizzle here. You must have to be farther from the equator to have drizzle. All we have are big drops. Anyway, it's cool enough for me to have an investment in the burn out kiln. I will pour it on Sunday.

Richard
Jammer

Re: Announcing that I am back to work

Post by Jammer »

Sounds great, what are you working on?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Sounds great Richard, and as Jerry says, what are working on :) . We have had a very wet day today, 6inch in 12 hours, the main problem her is, the ground around here is very flat and since the local council aloud the the development of all the land at the back of our place the water has nowhere to go, the storm water drains and channels cannot keep up with the flow and backs up into my sheds, so any thing that can get water damage has to be put up, last year I lost one mig welder, one stick welder and a plasma cutter
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

That sounds like the kind of rains we have here in rainy season. The land here is hilly though so the water has ways to run off and into the sea.

My foundry and shop are below ground level so they can flood if the drains get clogged. I welded together stands for my welder and a few other things that can't tolerate being wet. The welder sits about 20 cm up off the floor.

Richard
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

At last the rainy season has begun; the sky is overcast, and it rained this morning. I'm wearing a long sleeved shirt.
I put a small investment in the burn out kiln on Friday that I was going to pour today, rain, heat, or whatever. It's 12 inches tall and 9 inches in diameter.

Here is the oil tank. It is down for adding oil, and then up for use.

It has about ten feet of head, which is plenty high for waste motor oil in this climate. (It's hot all year here.)

Here is the burner set-up. It's a Lionel Hot Shot, modified, in that I ran the 1/8 inch oil drip pipe down the center of the burner tube almost to the end. I have a common household light switch dimmer on the shop-vac to control it. I run it at about 3/4 speed for this small furnace.

The propane inlet is the 1/8 inch iron pipe at the bottom of the picture.The oil feed is the copper tube. That is a needle valve you see , and between that and the burner tube is a ball valve. To get good oil flow control, I found that I had to have a needle valve in the line.

And now it is poured and the suspense begins.

I also used to complain about the less than perfect surface finishes I was getting on these Everdur castings. Finally Bruce Fink told me to stop breaking them out hot. He said the hot surfaces were oxidizing.

I used to break them out of the moulds while they were still almost red hot. I read somewhere you could do that, because Everdur contains no low melting point metals (lead, zinc, tin) so it's all solid while still red hot. It was written by someone who should know have known better.

After I started waiting overnight, the surface finishes have improved dramatically.

I have learned the hard way to be wary of what guys write in books. Kind of like U-Tube, just not as bad.

R
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I think I would have to be put in a straight jacket to keep from breaking something out of the mold. And... your going to make us wait with you!!!
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

My father used to say often, "Misery loves company."

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I'm with you Jerry, I would be breaking it out asp :lol: :lol: :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've open my sinker molds up and had Lead running out all over.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Okay,here we go.

There is something in there.

So far, so good.

There where the cup handle meets the cup you can see where air was trapped. I failed to provide a vent and the cup was tilted in the mold.

This was the piece I really cared about.
It turned out fine.