Well i'll be dipped... It worked

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
Rasper

Re: Well i'll be dipped... It worked

Post by Rasper »

Fortunately I had all of my photographs on other servers.

I use Photobucket for stuff that has only temporary interest. For posts that people may want to refer to later on, I use other servers. What I have settled on for a long term server is Spider Oak.

Spider Oak is a secure (and I mean secure) back-up server, and more. (the CIA and the NSA hate it.) Edward Snowden uses it, and the CIA hasn't been able to crack his files. I pay seven dollars a month for 150 gigs. It automatically backs up my data files as I save them. And it keeps all of the old versions until I delete them. Their tech support is superb.

Here is the useful part for posting photographs (or anything else you want to make available to other people). I can set up a folder and set it as a share folder. For instance, I have a folder called "forums" which has its own URL, and is readable to anyone who has the URL, ie., Alloy Avenue.

Spider Oak has saved me a lot of grief. For instance, my word processor deleted a book I am writing. Completely. Just like that. Gone. I have back-ups on USB sticks, but they tend to be several days old. I went to Spider Oak and downloaded my most recent files. Back up in minutes. (I switched to Libre Office as my office suite after that.) I also rid myself of Windows back in November. My computer died. It had Win 8.1. I did not like that, and I do not trust Microsoft. I had been using Ubuntu (Linux) on my secondary computer for years, so I switched to that totally. I absolutely love it. Plus it's a lot safer than Windows.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

What is the book about Richard
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I havent given up hope of finding a more recent backup that what I have found so far... I always put my pictures on this server because it has always been a safe place. Still scratchin my head as to what jollies someone would get out of deleting the sites they did here, have seen breaches before where they used the server for spamming until they were stopped and things updated but to just delete everything leaves me boggled.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

some kid getting his jollies thinking he's defeating the world
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

What is the book about Richard
It's a novel, set in the 1960's, about an old family that lives on an island in the Chesapeake Bay. Among the themes addressed are freedom of being and racial prejudice. My protagonist is a mixed race girl of extraordinary character. The Chesapeake Bay is in Virginia, where racial prejudice is deeply ingrained in everyone who was born there. It is not the ugly red neck type of racism you find farther South (Virginia is more civilized than that), but it is just as rock solid.

I was born and raised there. I know the place well.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I sure would be interested in reading when published :) I normally have at the bear minimum one book on the go
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

I'm glad to see this returned. That other site just didn't seem like home. Harry, I too opened myself a ecig store, and shut it down in dec. Too many rules, regs, and paperwork. Made money and got out.

Glad to be back!
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Yeah!!!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hey Shadow, I agree mate, this place has always been home :) :) :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The money was a nice part of it Shadow but wasnt the main reason we got in and why we really dont have much to show considering where we were in the market.

The sad part for me was to watch the gvmt spend hundreds of millions of dollars in their disinformation campaign to demonize a viable alternative to smoking simply because of a half trillion dollars they already spent and they need folks to keep smoking in order for itself to pay back without them being on the hook for it.

Anyone interested just do a little reading on the Tobacco Master Settlement (1998 I believe).

Nice Richard, my daughter is always after me to write but I am more of a non-fiction guy. Hope your book is a big hit.

I think this FoundDreaming domain will become a log of sorts on the things we have learned as we move towards semi-self sustaining on our few acres. My last project was a couple of greenhouses, about 4K sq ft between them. Last fall I took a tumble and am just now learning to walk again so thats been on hold. Been getting out to the garden and have a nice beginning on seed starts in my little greenhouse for this spring but everything is very slow going at this stage.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller