Photobucket makes a fatal error

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
Jammer

Photobucket makes a fatal error

Post by Jammer »

Photoblock-it Has went and done it. If your using PB for image hosting, it will now cost $399.99 per year for your photos to show up on forums. So much for free image hosting. There has been some talk about this for a while but I just got my notice today. "If you want your images posted from the last 10 years, start paying up. Many forums will become useless. We see the effects of out posts on here since we lost our images in the site crash earlier. I don't know if I want to go to another site and upload all my pictures. I guess I can just put my link to PB on here and you can look at all my pictures and albums. They are all public and mostly related to metal work and CNC with a little family and fishing. I will not be adding any more photos and won't delete my account to free up their space. I will try to down load all my photos into a file of my own so I don't have to visit their site.

Sorry about all the ads and crap.
http://s183.photobucket.com/user/Jammer ... t=3&page=1
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Re: Photobucket makes a fatal error

Post by Rasper »

It seems to be the normal cycle of business. A company makes a great product. Some big money operators buy it, cheapen the product to cash in on the good name, and then strip all of the cash out of the company and leave it for dead.

Three come to mind.

The Bass Weejuns. A company in Maine who made the best loafers ever, for a decent price. Then some money guys bought them and . . . well, they lost all of their long term customers.

Harley Davidson motorcycles. AMF bought them back maybe forty years ago. The bikes AMF made were crap. No one wants an AMF Harley now. The employees finally bought the company back and resurrected it.

And then the grand daddy of them all: General Motors. The accountants took over from the engineers and made Roger Smith (an accountant, not an engineer) the CEO. They began to make cars no one wanted, and the Honda Accord became the best selling car in America. Now Tesla has a greater market value than GM, which was once the largest company in the world. Thank you Roger Smith. You got your golden parachute, but America got a corpse of a company that is now on life-support.

Richard
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I had and always wanted a shovel Harley, and yes I did spend a lot of time maintaining it and doing repairs, and loved every moment of it :) :) ....If AMF hadn't purchased HD would it have survived to be what it is today. If still given a choice between new and old shovel HD with me the old shovel will always be the winner ;) ;) :) :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Here is a report I read on Answers.com

"In 1967 the Harley-Davidson Company after several lean years was threatened by bankruptcy and accepted an offer to buy out the company by AMF (American Metal Foundries). This buyout ended sixty-two years of the private family owned company. AMF realized some of the problems the company had and decided that the way bring it back to the top was to produce large numbers of motorcycles quickly and cost-effectively. For the first time three letters appeared beside the Harley-Davidson name on the gasoline tanks, AMF. Harley was now trying to compete with the Japanese, which they could not do on their own ground, which was mass production. With the speeding up of the assembly line, it became apparent that the quality control which Harley had always been so concerned with was not deteriorating. As production increased there was a significant drop in quality. Since there was not enough space for working on this amount of machines, they were pushed through without adequate time or careful assembly. From this analysis, the only solution was to keep developing motorcycles that had built the company's success and legend, solidity, quality and reliability.

In 1981 the Harley -Davidson executives who were disappointed with AMF decided they would try to buy the company. Because the company was considered to be beyond recovery, they were able to purchase it at a good price. After the buy, some critised AMF for not taking better care of the classic company. Harley-Davidson began its new beginning and reclaimed its good name."