Forum Future

Keep abreast of FoundDreaming updates here.
Jammer

Forum Future

Post by Jammer »

Not sure what the future holds for this little forum but I'm going to stay around and post my stuff here. I will be reloading my pictures, at least the ones I can figure out. I will leave off ones that aren't very important for now.

I feel AA is about to implode, member pressure is building and pictures are going away. Griping at Mods like Rasper as if they have some control over things. I'm not liking the way things are going on there.... again. I won't even try to fix the couple hundred pictures on there.

I'm not going to be casting or doing anything in the shop for a while. Except packing up, we have a contract on our house and will be looking for a place in Ohio to move into. I've got so many things I want to do, but I don't really know what I'll be able to get done

Where do the rest of you think we are headed?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Re: Forum Future

Post by mite5255 »

I'm staying, I like this family :-)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

The big issue that I have with AA is that a lot of members are more concerned about how pretty their gear looks, instead of just getting it done, I will admit that some people do build some really cool looking gear but lets be realistic here, foundry f%^ks up pretty paint rear quick. There is a post about a Multi-Flow Siphon Nozzle Burner and as far as I can see they want it electronically controlled, how much fun is there it that... i do agree with you Jerry about the likes of Richard, I often wonder why they bother... If AA does implode how do we keep control here with this fantastic little family :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

There are people on AA that I would welcome with open arms tho, and they are the ones with something to say and not the ones trying to get their message count up, which is another issue over there with a few members
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

I know I don't say much, but I am not going anywhere..... I still have ambitions.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Latz, I'm still thinking and drawing up sketches of how to cast your drum bodies. It just sounds like a fun project. Have you got that big lathe running yet? Still think a centrifugal caster attached to my garden tractor wheel would work. 40 pounds of molten bronze spinning in a drum, what could go wrong?
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Regarding metal working forums in general: I am (or was) active in about seven of them. A number of them have slowed down to a crawl. The two metal shaping forums I was active in used to have a bunch of guys building cars. Now mostly they are building (or talking about) tools. What happened to the car builders?

Same with metal casters. There used to be a lot of guys on AA pouring metal. Now there are a few, but mostly they are trying to build the perfect burner.

And sculptors. The sculpture forums are all moribund. Granted, people have a herding instinct. Something becomes hot and everyone has to do it. Then it cools off. I'm not sure what is hot now, but it sure ain't sculpture or metal shaping or metal casting. Arguing maybe.

One problem with all of it is that there is no money in it. It's hard work. There are too many sculptors in the world. Just as there are too many college graduates in the world. There are a lot more college graduates than there are jobs for them to do. What we need are such things as welders and machinists. Mostly what we are turning out is college graduates who don't really know how to do anything. Engineers who can't even sharpen a knife.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I enjoy looking and reading about others projects. I do not like someone demanding Mods do something and calling for immediate changes because a 3rd party has changed it's policy, Photo bucket of course. We have no control over what others do.
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Jammer wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:44 am
Latz, I'm still thinking and drawing up sketches of how to cast your drum bodies. It just sounds like a fun project. Have you got that big lathe running yet? Still think a centrifugal caster attached to my garden tractor wheel would work. 40 pounds of molten bronze spinning in a drum, what could go wrong?
Woo-hoo! Hey y'all, hold my beer and watch THIS!

The lathe is on hold. I put it at my parents and life got int he way. Now my dad passed coming up on 3 years ago and not sure how long mom will be around, so the I am working on building my own building for all of my stuff and projects....