Tool Set for a #10 SiC

Help Handling the Hot Stuff.
Harry
Site Admin

Tool Set for a #10 SiC

Post by Harry »

Here are the jaws for the tongs made up and strapped into place to weld the hinge in. I use these tongs for both lifting and pouring.

And welded up. The jaws are 3/8" thick and I think I will eventually remake them using light plate. The complete tongs weigh 23 lbs and If I could trim ten pounds off and still feel good about them it would save me a little on the lifting. They are strong as a tank though and will last forever so I am happy with that.

The lower jaws are angled in slightly to cradle the crucible as it gets smaller at the bottom. I made these so I would lower them to just touch the top of the crucible then lift a little and squeeze the handle to close them.

Here is the new set I made today, the handle of the tongs are bent in at the top for a comfortable grip in my right hand keeping them closed.

The cross piece is both a handle for my left hand while pouring and a stop so I wont put too much pressure on the crucible. I welded the nut on the hinge bolt. The handles are 3/4" rebar, this is another area where I could save some weight on the next pair. The charging tongs and skimmer are 1/2 tubing.

Close up of the charging tongs and skimmer.

I think this set will work out nicely. I paid attention in the design to the balance of the load and kept as much distance from the crucible I felt was needed for my left hand. I also made sure I could see the pouring spout through the pour for seeing how fast the metal is coming out of the pot.

Robert, yes those home brew look great and they handle my rough use better than the $60 BCS ones that only hold two more pounds. With a thicker wall and larger mold I could make the same capacity of the BCS crucible and they would last twice as long and only cost about $3 each to make. If anyone does decide to make their own they need to pay particular attention to getting the refractory consolidated well, I used a concrete vibrator on the table I was making them on.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Re: Tool Set for a #10 SiC

Post by Nudge »

Just having a look at your tools :)
Do you have / use a pouring shank or do you pour with the lifting one?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Does the monogram on the rebar say 19 ... 5? That would be a grade 75 #6 rebar, pretty strong stuff. Can't imagine it was very easy to weld.

The tools look great, might get heavy at the end of the day.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nudge, yes I lift and pour with the same tongs. Never have used a shank because this is plenty comfortable for me and I feel eliminating a step in handling a hot crucible is a good thing. The handles come close together at the top so I can keep just a little pressure on it with one hand and the cross handle acts as a pivot for the other hand. Works well and more importantly feels very safe.

Dont know about the monogram Jammer as I never paid attention, if I think about it I will check next time I am out there. I know I had no trouble welding it but it is stout so I had to heat it for bending. They are heavy at the beginning of the day, I will be making the next set much lighter, these are so overkill it is not even funny but the extra weight in the tongs is a big part of the reason I feel confident to move to a #20 crucible, hopefully I will be able to get down south soon to pick those up.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller