Bill New Crucible

All Types of Crucibles.
Bill Toomey

Bill New Crucible

Post by Bill Toomey »

I found this gem on craigslist for a whopping $10. Now it mine. It fits much better in the 11" furnace. I have a felling that I will also get faster melt times since the crucible fits better and the flame will actually get closer.

I discovered that the manufacturer is legend. Its one of their "premium graphite crucibles". I'm happy it isn't from bcs.

Supposedly, it is "resistant to thermal shock". I thought all graphite crucibles had to be heated slowly? Also, with one of these, do you preheat on each run- that is run up to cherry red and let it cool down or can you just ramp the heat up gradually?

thanks

Bill
Attachments
newcrucible 001.jpg
newcrucible 002.jpg
Last edited by Bill Toomey on Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Bill New Crucible

Post by Harry »

Bill, you cant link images from the AA forum because you have to be logged in to see any images uploaded to that forum. I did post a tip on uploading images here that are elsewhere on the internet and I think it would work in this case as long as you are logged on over there when you upload them because your computer downloads them to your internet temporary folder then up to here.

Congrats on the crucible, graphite are supposed to be preheated before every use. I had one that I ruined second melt from legend by not following the preheating rule. BCS crucibles arent so bad as long as you know what you are getting. The lower priced SiC they sell are not really SiC and the sizes run small on some of them so yeah I am leary of using them but the owner has seemed to take very good care of people and some prices are pretty good and AFAIK all prices include shipping.

I would do an initial firing of the crucible after preheating and get it as hot as you can then let it cool in the bricked up furnace. After that preheat each use is what I have read as recommended handling though I would think you could keep it in a sealed container to prevent it from drawing moisture then just heat slowly up to 5 or 600* before piling the heat on. I will say though that I have had some pretty terrible results with graphite crucibles in terms of number of pours. I am well over 100 runs on my SiC and it still looks great with only some slight thinning but absolutely no cracking or spalling like I always got with the graphite in way few melts. Loads of people use them so it seems if taken care of they will give good service.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

In Legend Mining budget crucibles, the #8 would be 8 Kilos of Copper, but it doesn't say what the capacity is in the premium ones. Probably a little more since it's 1 inch taller than the budget #8.
I filled mine with sand and then poured it into a graduatd beaker and converted it for volume. That's one area where metric is great since 1 ml equals 1 cc.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

not to butt in but on legends site they have the insturctions or their recomended way to temper and per heat crucibles from them. I have used their budget clay graphite with success on the ones that I have.

I first fired them to red and let them cool down, after that when I go to use one I put it in the furnace and bring the heat up slow for 5 to 10 minutes then open up the burner and get with the program.

I can't say about their Silicon Carbide as the ones I have I got from Mifco. I only have one and it is use stricly for Iron.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

Ok I re-posted the pictures directly from my computer so they should show up now. Thanks for the tips.

Bill