new A20

All Types of Crucibles.
dallen

new A20

Post by dallen »

UPS Brown rolled up to the driveway and before I could say hello, he dropped a box and was gone in a streak of I'm not gonna say what it looked like.

Anyway it was my order for Mifco, the new A20 Crucible that I had ordered and a replacement thermal couple that I had order last Thursday.

heres a shot of it beside my old A10 that I used to think was a problem to pull full by myself, now I think I get to build me that helping hand, cause this thing full of Iron is going to be on the hefty side.

Anyone know of a source of ceramic tubes need one with a 1/2 inch inside ID. Or guess I could for most stuff that this is going to be used for just mix up some fire clay good and thick, and cover it with that, the part that will project from the stainless steel tube I will get to slide it in to.

First things first through is to make some tools to handle this new pot with, no sense in having a now pot if you can't get it off the stove, right!.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Re: new A20

Post by Harry »

Nice, David... I have taken to making a refractory cookie to fire new SiC crucibles on. Just a thin disc about 3/4" thick and the size of the bottom of the crucible to sit on the plinth. This will stick to the bottom of the crucible and stay there. I have had no problems yet as far as dissimilar materials and different expansion rates.

Mostly what I have read is using cardboard or wet paper between the crucible and plinth to prevent sticking but I have even used discs of 1/4" MDF in the past to create a carbon layer and still had new crucibles stick. These things really like to leak especially on the first firing. I know you already know this but figured I would toss this out for some discussion.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Sweeeeet!!
I think I would find an engine hoist to pick that baby up. You could build a nice set of tongs with a lift ring and pouring device like the big boys. I think you have the same problem as me, those hoists won't roll around in the grass too well.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

I got a plinth to put it on, this thing is as you can see in the photo as tall as my A10 with it sitting on a 2.5 inch thick brick. I won an auction on evil bitch today (yes I play the game) and along with it was a silicon carbide plinth block, heck the block alone probably from mifco cost what I gave for both with the shipping.
So yes it will get burned onto the bottom of the A20 if its big enough in diameter.

As far as the paper between goes when I remember ( yes I said when I remember) I stick in a couple paper disk that I snag when I'm around the lad at an asphalt plant, they use em on the pills the run thru the gyratory compactor, there about six inches in diameter and I just put a couple under the crucible and fire it up, the one last time I forgot is when I welded the brick to the A10, which wouldn't of been too bad except that the brick isn't square and its off center which makes for some jiggling at times to put it in the shank.

Jammer yes I am going to need something to help or someone to help pull and pour this thing I have an idea for a roll around pull and pour buggy type idea that if I can make work will also take a new furnace of the top hat design to work. Untill then I plan to welded up a lift out hoist of some type, so I can pull and pour without having to man handle things. hopefully in the near further I can find a small one ton electric or air hoist. to do the lifting with.

furnace area will move in the yard about 30 feet to beside a telephone pole that is dug in like a deer tick on a coon dog, been there for close to 30 year and is nine feet in the ground so I think it will handle a couple hundred pounds of iron hanging off it.

Now who has a ceramic tube that I can get my eager little fingers on to cover up the end of that probe. Or does anyone see any harm in covering it with fire clay.

David

HT1

Post by HT1 »

if you have any ITC100 or the formula for metal , 236??? I would try that
but any refractory material should work
dallen

Post by dallen »

I have a hundred pound bag of fire clay I was thinking (again Dangerous) that I could just mix up some with water into a nice thick bot type material and like smooth in on the probe so it will keep from being burned up by Iron Temps.

dallen

Post by dallen »

guess I can stick this in here,

Awhile back I bid on a crucible and plith block on Evil Bay, and won them. I received them today from Brown, the crucible is a nice A10 Clay Grahpite the block is a 2 inch thick 6 inch in diameter block of Silicon Carbide, which is going to be used as a plith under the A20 that I purchased from Mifco a couple weeks ago.

I get arround to it I'll post up a photo of the pair.

dallen

Post by dallen »

dallen wrote:guess I can stick this in here,

Awhile back I bid on a crucible and plith block on Evil Bay, and won them. I received them today from Brown, the crucible is a nice A10 Clay Grahpite the block is a 2 inch thick 6 inch in diameter block of Silicon Carbide, which is going to be used as a plith under the A20 that I purchased from Mifco a couple weeks ago.

I get arround to it I'll post up a photo of the pair.
heres that photo I said that I would post up of the new crucible, its sitting along side my old A10 for size comparison.