Hi from Ottawa, Canada

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Tobho Mott

Hi from Ottawa, Canada

Post by Tobho Mott »

Hello all.

Long time lurker, thought I'd finally sign up so I can say Hi and gain access to the convenience of clicking on "new posts" to see the latest updates from all of you.

Those of you who have been active on alloyavenue over the past 5 years may recognize me or even recall giving me some great advice in that time. And for those of you who left there before that time, I recognize most of you from your old posts there (and here). I am still quite active there as well as on the newer thehomefoundry.org forums.

For those who don't already know me, I do greensand casting in aluminum and bronze, and the occasional lost foam casting. Just picked up a small electric kiln too, so there might be some small scale heat treating and lost wax casting in my future as well. Strictly hobbyist level so far, but I am trying hard to improve my skills, and dream of one day turning it into a sideline that hopefully at least covers its own expenses.

I like your quiet little hideout here. Promise to listen more than I talk and not to stir up any trouble!

Jeff
Rasper

Re: Hi from Ottawa, Canada

Post by Rasper »

This is quite a different place than the other two. It's more like a group of old friends getting together and shooting the bull. Sometimes about metal casting.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Hi Tobho, welcome. We are a pretty quiet bunch. I've moved and haven't gotten my foundry set up yet, maybe in the spring.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

nope, dont know you, :P Yea, it is pretty relaxed here, but full of tons of info if you look through it, and a good crowd to BS with.
Tobho Mott

Post by Tobho Mott »

Hi guys. Like I said, I've been lurking here now and then for a few years just keeping an eye on what projects etc. you guys are working on here that might not be posted on the other site(s). I agree that it does have a very different feel than the other forums. Quiet and close-knit, and I'm not here to mess with that.. That's really the main reason why I hadn't spoken up before now.

Just lurking got to feeling a little creepy after a while though, like I was eavesdropping on you guys all the time without you knowing I was there. Decided it was time to finally at least say hello, so here I am!

Jeff
dallen

Post by dallen »

hi,
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As long as the lights are on folks are welcome to share and glean from this site.

I keep hoping one day the casting bug will bit me again and have been tinkering with a few possibles to that end.

Never could wrap my head around greensand, just seemed like too much trouble keeping everything just right. My petrobond oilsand mix sat for 3 years, looked dry as could be. Loaded the muller and in a few minutes it had that smell and sticky feel to it ready to be packed into a mold. Being a lazy type of person this kind of convenience is tough to beat.

Welcome aboard, as stated above this is different corner of the world populated by a few folks flung all around the globe.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

You played in the sand so you'll be back at casting soon.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I sure hope so Jerry... so many projects.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller