Hi I'm Harry

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Harry
Site Admin

Hi I'm Harry

Post by Harry »

At this point in time I imagine all of the folks here already know me from the BYMC forum as w3.

I was born in the early 60s and spent my whole life in construction starting in Residential/Commercial at an early age covering nearly every trade by the time I was 25 at which point I was doing remodel work for a large Maintenance/Management company. About this time I got into heavy construction doing underground utilities, this would be pipes in the ground that cities are built upon. For close to two decades I did mainly wet lines (water, sewer and storm). I was a pipe fitter/layer but also a foreman most of the time along with equipment operator whenever needed.

In 2009 the housing crunch practically ended this entire industry. I wasnt particularly saddened about it though because driving a 1,000 miles a week never was much fun and there is no long term future in the field. It is the sort of thing where you are used as long as your back is strong then left to your own devices. I have always wanted build a business where I could make things people want or need and market these products. In the foundry I found the perfect opportunity to do just this.

I have always had strong interests in computers, art and math and the last couple of years have found a whole new field to occupy my later years int he form of metal casting. Having built myself a fairly complete foundry over the last two years along with a cnc wood router for pattern making my dreams of owning/operating my own profitable foundry are slowly becoming a reality.

Part of the reason for this forum is to share this with others because as i see it this is something that not only could many of us do this is something that many of us need to do. Both for ourselves and the future of our respective countries, there is a great sense of satisfaction in melting a wheel that has made in china on it only to make it into something that was made right here.

So anyhow I will continue to share my foundry experience here in these forums and hopefully some others will come along and share theirs too so that we can learn from each other as we continue to develop our skills and businesses. I also hope that this domain, FoundDreaming.com will be a helpful tool to create a distribution network for the fruits of our craft. I have a ton of ideas on how to go about this and time will tell on seeing that come to be.

So now you know my story and how I ended up here on FoundDreaming, I plan to keep dreaming and creativity take me where it will.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Hi I'm Harry

Post by Harry »

How we change with the years. Mostly not for the good. :-)

Húg (hoog) had her 6 month vet visit today. She is 60lbs and vet guesses she will be over 100. Clean bill of health and just the friendliest dog needing everyone to love on her.

20230426_093231.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Can't believe its been 12 years already.... Time is undefeated in the game of life.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No doubt, for perspective the average lifespan of a Pyrenees is 10 to 12 years. Imagine how time feels to her and think about how fortunate we really are.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Now for Mitch here seen wandering with his Cilantro and pondering the future its an entirely different perspective.

20230426_154419.jpg
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

That looks like a good dog, Harry.

I'm at the age where I should maybe measure my time in months instead of years. Still no signs of an imminent end though.

We are in the "oven" month here. May is our hottest, driest, but very humid month. At 4 am the outside air is 85 F. (30 C. of those of you in Oz) Foundry work is out of the question, as is most other activity. The rains begin in June and things cool off and turn green.

I still go to forums and have never been to Facebook, although it seems most people do. I don't like that Zuckerburg character and want nothing to do with him. I love Roger Water's reply when Zuckerburg asked if he could use one of Pink Floyd's recordings in a Facebook ad. Water's replied, "Fuck you, you little prick." I love watching Roger Waters in Pink Floyd concerts. He clearly doesn't give a damn and is having a ball.

More later,

Richard