David from Colorado

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
davidbraley

David from Colorado

Post by davidbraley »

Hello All!

My name is David, I live in beautiful Northern Colorado, and I'm just getting started in the world of casting metal. I'm known over on the BYMC site as "BashingTin."

My interest in casting is focused on Aluminum parts for car engines. I hope someday to be able to cast good enough parts, that others will be interested too. Turning my hobby of casting auto bits into a small cottage business would be great. I like to do things as best I can, so I can sometimes think about stuff a little too much before jumping in. I really hope to succeed at this backyard casting stuff!

I have been a machinist and fabricator most of my life, and I have a modest shop here at home. I'm going to try and create some kind of simple foundry that can operate mostly indoors if possible. I've got my sights set on building a furnace with a side exhaust that can be routed through the wall. That should keep the inside nicer during my melts. My first furnace will be small. 11" bore and about 13" tall on the inside. I'm thinking a #10 crucible to start. I'll also be fueling it with natural gas.

I'll start a build thread when I get some more finished.

Take care,

David
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!

Return to “Introductions”