Is there a restroom in here?

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
barryjyoung

Is there a restroom in here?

Post by barryjyoung »

Hi there:

I came in here looking for the 3 pages of plans for the "$4 rolling wheel and plow sand muller you can build in an hour with no welder, milling machine, materials, skill, or effort" . All I found was a really great website dedicated to troublemakers like me who like to roll around in sand and make stuff I can't buy. So, now that I am here, I should do some shameless advertising.

My name is Barry Young. I teach the Machinist Program for a living because it is somewhat less stressful than robbing banks. About 4 years ago or so I got a wild hair and decided that the cameras I was making from wood really should be made from aluminum. No sweat, it couldn't take more than three weekends to make a furnace right? Then go to the beach and get some sand and make thin wall precision camera castings using a couple of old wheels for flasks right? I mean right? 4 years of grueling design, research, massive effort and agony later, now there are not one but two furnaces in my back yard. One is a crucible furnace for pouring. Problem was that wheels don't fit so well,,,sorry, so good in a #20 crucible. Damn! what to do? Make another furnace right? So we did, my friend Garrett and I were exhausted and very grumpy after making the crucible furnaces (1 for each of us) and then were immediately faced with the reality that wheels are big. So we argued and complained and said awful things to each other while building the second furnace which was designed to turn wheels into wheelium ingots which it does handily. We call it a break down furnace and it accepts up to a 22 inch aluminum wheels and turns them into easier to handle 3 pound ingots. The molding bench is a converted truck bed toolbox in shiny aluminum diamond plate. Our first casting will be in late August and will be sides for aluminum snap flasks similar to the ones on backyard metalcasting done by Lionel Oliver. Thanks Lionel. We just need to make our muller, converor belt and riddle to be online with the foundry. At some point I will make some videos of our setup.

Let me know if you are ever in Tacoma Washington, USA, Earth and have some time to waste. I'll have you over to see what is taking so long.

Thanks and thanks

Barry Young
Tacoma, WA
Just follow the smoke trail
Heimo

Re: Is there a restroom in here?

Post by Heimo »

welcome to the forum...
dallen

Post by dallen »

welcome to the group; you mean I should of only spend 4 dollars on the one that I built, I guess inflation is still spreading in Oklahoma. oh well you can check it out at http://founddreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Down the hall on the left...

Sounds like you got a good sense of things there Barry, will look forward to seeing your setup. I really like the idea of a conveyor or screw setup for transporting sand. What sand system do you use? Oil or water? Also interested in this camera you were building out of wood, sounds pretty high tech 8-)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Welcome, youre already well on youre way, as Harry said. I havent even got a real bench to work on right now lol. Would love to see some pics/vids of your setup, and maybe some more of your wooden cameras, and patterns for your castings...so exciting!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Welcome to the show Barry.
No restrooms here, but there is some occasional crap flying around. :D
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Heimo wrote:welcome to the forum...
thanks
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

dallen wrote:welcome to the group; you mean I should of only spend 4 dollars on the one that I built, I guess inflation is still spreading in Oklahoma. oh well you can check it out at http://founddreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=51

No, I said I was looking for the instructions for the $4 muller. I am already a couple of hundred into my build. I will take some pics tomorrow or so.

Thanks for the thread on your muller build. Looks like it is going pretty fast.

Barry
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Harry wrote:Down the hall on the left...

Sounds like you got a good sense of things there Barry, will look forward to seeing your setup. I really like the idea of a conveyor or screw setup for transporting sand. What sand system do you use? Oil or water? Also interested in this camera you were building out of wood, sounds pretty high tech 8-)

I picked up a dozen plastic single junction boxes from Lowes yesterday for a quarter each. Those will be the buckets for the conveyor.

Actually all production models of Ultra Large Format cameras are made of wood and it is indeed very high tech. Holding +/- .002 over 25 inches for a film holder septum is not quite the easy affair it sounds regardless of the material. Wood makes it harder not easier.

Once I start building the conveyor I will start a thread to that effect.

Barry
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

4cylndrfury wrote:Welcome, youre already well on youre way, as Harry said. I havent even got a real bench to work on right now lol. Would love to see some pics/vids of your setup, and maybe some more of your wooden cameras, and patterns for your castings...so exciting!

Probably tomorrow or so. Thanks.

Barry