looking for petrobond, new here

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
dallen

Re: looking for petrobond, new here

Post by dallen »

my 2 cents worth, your probably loosing a lot of heat fast when you pull out of the forge using a metal ladle. Myself I would look to Legend MIning Supply get your self a couple of small crucible and a hair pin tong they will hold the heat a lot longer.

Fluxes, I would look up Small Foundry supply and get some N400 degassing cover flux it doesn't take very much of this stuff to make a cover and its a lot less messy then charcoal,

As Harry said, your not hot enough, and you won't start to burn the zink out till you see swirls start to form on top of the melt so use a good cover the flux in the amounts that your melting will do better that the charcoal, the hairpin tongs will allow you one hand free to skim or hold back the cover while pouring.

see if you can mold the part so that it is in the cope top half of the mold fast up. that way you can cut your runner in the drag and let it flow up into the opening of the mold, this way you will not wash the mold full of sand and if any gets in it will be in the back and all cleanup will be on the backside.

one other thing is keep the sprue hole full while pouring, this way you won't suck air in with the molten metal which can cause porosity.

have fun, be safe.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette