Tidewater, VA checking in!

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Silverforge

Re: Tidewater, VA checking in!

Post by Silverforge »

Fair enough- I like your figures and the art I have sen from your studio pics and postings- So I would tae it the investment once used and chipped/vibrated off is just dross/waste? or is it re-pulverized and used again?

Great work- Like the views inside the studio! So you are wintering in Mexico then?
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

GFS Chemicals, Inc. produces ingots of Antimony. I googled GFS w/Ingot as buzz words and come up with that. They do not show a picture, however, of the ingot in the window that pops up for folks to order from. The company is out of New Hampshire, I think, or somewhere on the east coast. I would assume the initials in the other ingots also relate to the manufacturer that produces them.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Further, it states that Antimony melts at 631 degrees. you ought to be able to melt that stuff with a propane torch. If not, it ain't antimony. Possibly Zinc... might take a bit more heat. I use zinc in a lot of artistic casts to adorn custom bikes and such.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I re-use the investment. It is easy to pulverize and I sift it through 1/8 inch rat wire. I use some new brick dust along with the old in an investment. It's called ludo. The Italian sculptors were using it centuries ago. Ancient Roman sculptors used brick dust and plaster so I would imagine they re-used it as well. Some sculptors say ludo makes a better investment.

Anyway, it ain't rocket science. Some people use a 1 to 1 mix and think that works great. I use 1 to 2. That works great for me.

Richard
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

@FC- thanks- I tried the low temp melt- no-go there... did a vinegar test- no fizzies so I dont think its Mg, and its not as heavy as the Zn anodes we used on the boats- its about the same weight as the other ingots... so I am leaning to the Al end of the spectrum... Jammer had a good idea to do a specific gravity and density test- which will happen once all my gear gets out of the storage unit (gotta LOVE remodeling the garage/house- everything you MAY need- per Murphys law- is locked up 2.4 miles away!) I am thinking of getting a few "Known" samples of alloy and doing a comparision spark and melt test as well- I have a few plates of 2024-T6 and Various known alloys to compare to...

Nothings going to happen till thehouse is finished anyways- but gearing up to get it on this winter!

Thanks for the info- and thanks for the business mindset in some of your postings!
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

@Rasper- As I am a newbie to investments and castings in general- this sounds like an easier adventure for wax-molding than some of the other mixes I read about- can it withstand a vacuum being pulled in a flask as well? I have several ideas for thinner and smaller castings that would be ideal for a 6" flask and vacuum setup... Thanks for the info and the ideas as well!
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Here is the Wheel-chair motor-
Attachments
motor.JPG
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Silver, look into centrifical casting for a mold the size you're considering. The equipment is cheap and easy to build. Jewelers use it a lot. Or, you can go even cheaper and opt to do steam casting. I've preferred this method, it's fun, and works like a charm for small investments. Basically you have your mold with a pour cup at top, and vents to expell gases. The pour cup has a few tiny holes in the basin too small for the melt to flow through (not being under pressure). Once up to temp (a learned visual assessment) you remove the flame and apply a thick wetted leather pad (similar to a bean bag)... you do this quick, by the way. The resultant steam pressure shoves the metal into the entire mold cavity regardless how thin the interior spaces are. I've actually cast insects as small as mosquitos this way for use at tie tacks and ear rings. It's amazing how thin and detailed you can get with this method.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Also.. regarding those ingots, they may be alloy supplements for the lighter metals. I don't use them but I've heard of Tibor sticks (unsure of the spelling) that's used in aluminum to increase it's flow and maleability after casting. Harry should know something about this as he sells supplement alloy sticks of a variety of kinds. Also, melting scrap metals burns off some of its ingredients and foundries have to re-input those alloys to regain the properties of the metal they smelted and intend to reuse in their cast. I know titanium requires some supplements to be added to the melt when smelted and recast. Just say'n. As for the initials on the photos you shown I'm of the opinion those are the manufacturer's initials (maybe?). Harry should chime in on this topic.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Harry has been MIA about as long as you have Frank, hopefully he's fairing better than you. He was very busy with his other interests. I guess he'd rather make money than talk to us. Just kidding Harry, keep your priorities straight. ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)