Tidewater, VA checking in!

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Silverforge

Tidewater, VA checking in!

Post by Silverforge »

Not much activity in the "New" department... so I figured I would hang my virtual shingle, so to speak... Looking for fellowship and advice (yes- relative noob here- but gearing up again after life-haitus)... Getting ready to do the "Gingery" thing- just bought an old Rockwell Lathe to rebuild- and scored a series of casting equipment from an estate sale of a shop- so first quarter of 2013 I hope this place has ears- because not only will you get quite the chuckle out of my errors I am sure- but I hope to get some valuable feedback and mentoring... Ciao and see you and the forums!
Rasper

Re: Tidewater, VA checking in!

Post by Rasper »

Welcome aboard. I had several boatyards in Tidewater Virginia for quite a few years back in the 60's and 70's. I am a long way from home now with two sculpture studios, one in California and one in southern Mexico.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Welcome to the forum. You'll have to post some pictures of the foundry stuff you've got. I went to an auction that had a Speedy-melt furnace and a forge plus a bunch of tools. I couldn't buy anything (the wife was with me :P ). I made the other guy pay for it though. ;)
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

welcome to the forum like Jammer said PICTURES, there's someone around daily if you have a question or need some help someone will answer

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Welcome to the site, Im a newbie so to say as well in casting and the site.. Post some pics of the equipment you got!! There is a welth of info her and helpful info, without the site and members here I would not be at the casting level im at.
Pour Naked!
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

OK- trying to get the pics up- I try to upload and post- but when I go to "Preview" it is text only... tried to post- nothing... OK guru's... do I need permission or am I victim of my dreaded "USER ERROR" disease...? Intel Inside- Idiot outside! HA! :lol:

I have picked up a variety of things here and there-
1 vaccum caster for small investment flasks with de-bubbler table
2 couple of bags of Kast-O-Lite 30i (dont know how old- but they are unopened and under plastic)
3- Box of Kaowool and bottle of Ins-tuff rigidizer
4 pouring and lifting shanks
5 ingots- some scrap-pours and several with foundry markings- these were the pics I wanted to post- but cant get them to load- I have NO idea of what alloy they are
6 some 1095 steel and some ATS 34 blade blanks
(I am learning to do knife blades from a local retired CPO who is a "Master Tinkerer" of sorts... so just trying to jump in with BOTH feet!)

RASPER- I am not from Tidewater specifically (Im a tarheel at the heart and soul of it all) I was transplanted here back in my youth- and here is where I seem to have rooted (for now). Did my time on the water (dredge-boat and tug deckhand)... keep my feet on DIRT now! HA! I bet the place had changed ALOT from then- its changed alot since I have been here! Nice Bronzes BTW!
dallen

Post by dallen »

you don't have that, first make sure your photos are the right size then use the FULL EDITOR to write your message with, and scroll down where you can see the upload attachment and select it
Then browse around your computer and find the file you want to load, and select it and click ok.
Then click the button that says ADD the FILE
Then if you have more then one photo to post you can click the place inline button and it will move the next photo down

That should get you going

or you can host your photos on some place like photobucket that copy and paste the link over here in your message but thats another can of molten metal.

Oh yea the photo won't show up in the preview just the text you saw

DA

Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Anyone able to identify the suppliers or the alloys by the markings?
OK- I guess I didnt read the problem- it kept saying it was too big... so USER ERROR strikes again... its like siezures sometimes! You just dont know when the crap is gonna come outta the can and grab ya!

SO- here goes attempt 4... Pic one is of the ingot haul- this is not all of it- but it is a sampling from the mix... some are marked, some not...anyone know how I would find out WHO they came from? "MSA aluminum ingot" gets me a 1000 hits on Alibaba and GlobalSpec- but nothing REMOTELY like my little ingots...

They are marked:
"GFS" "MSA" "SALL" "VM"

All in all about 250-300 pounds- the one in the lower right is the scrap home-made biscuts the old guy was pouring... little 2-loafers
Attachments
NO POROSITY in the scrap ingots or the bucket of risers and sprues!
NO POROSITY in the scrap ingots or the bucket of risers and sprues!
the rigidizer for the kaowool
the rigidizer for the kaowool
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

More as the shed gets emptied and the garage comes together and I clear out the storage where I put it all!

Any info is helpful on the ID of the ingots!

Thanks!
dallen

Post by dallen »

without an alloy number its going to be kinda hard to say what they are besides aluminum or zink or a half dozen other different metals

but I would say if its aluminum its probably A356 or pretty similar, only thing to do is melt some see if you can do anything with it