Tidewater, VA checking in!

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Silverforge

Re: Tidewater, VA checking in!

Post by Silverforge »

No worries FC- Looking at vacuum as that is a setup I purchased from a jeweler who was going out of business due to neck surgery- got his burnout oven, vacuum table and caster, and all the sundries and consumables- so I will be experimenting with it as well as the foundry setup as well- the steam and centrifugal are other methods I want to learn as well... Have my eye on a spin caster also (waiting for the fellow to decide if he is selling or not- he closed his novelty and ornament business after the economy hit in 2010- and moved his equipment home.)

I have a small shop worth of stuff from estate and various sales lying about- and finally got the chutzpah up to try and get it all rolling! Just finished the garage rebuild- and now comes the rest of the kitchen and house remodel and then the shop outfitting... got a couple of old retired navy chiefs who have machine shops helpinf me build a few things and teach me a bit as well!

I am actually trying to make a go of a small business next year at this- so Im in-process with a business plan to make it all official... 1st qtr next year I am on!

@ Jammer- cool scooter! Saw your boy- congrats on the promo post OCS and the transfer! Your pics loaded OK though!

Be safe fellas- Im on night shift the next 7- so I may be checking in... or may be in a coma... Till then- be safe!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Sounds like agreat set-up Silverforge. I fwe get over your way maybe we'll drop in.
I had to load the pics from Photo bucket. It wouldn't let me load one from my files the way it will in the forum.

You sound like you work the crazy shifts I used to work, be careful, that is very hard on your body and your home life.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

You bet- swing by- heck- let me know and I'll get a cookout happening! I know about the crazy shift thing! My "Normal" is a rotating 2 week schedule with 36 hours one week-48 the second week... at nights... But it allows me to be active in the mornings and at least my wife is cool with it- for now... Hopefully the goal is to get up and running and do the casting and art stuff in the mornings and on off days with the full time job (read as INSURANCE PROVIDER) at nights.

So- can a motorcycle gas tank be a cast AL piece? Or would the gas corrode the inside? How about a steel insert? Any thoughts?

Got ya on the photobucket- I guess that is next on the techo-learning list... technology goes too fast sometimes! HA! (Or maybe Im just too slow)

KD
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Yes it can be cast in Alli! I have an old concrete breaker that has an alli tank that has been cast. It looks like the core was held from the lid and the furl tap.
I have also made a cast fuel tank for my hit and miss engine.
I painted the Tank black because silver looked wrong!
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Well, gas used to be gas, now it's some kind of mix with ethonol and additives to make it burn cleaner, cost more and eats up 2 cycle motors if you don't put in an additive to prevent corrosion in the cylinder walls. I believe the heat helps the corrosion.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I have never herd of the problem with 2 stroke engines, what is it like with 4 strokes?
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:I have never herd of the problem with 2 stroke engines, what is it like with 4 strokes?
I have running my 2 stroke lawn mower on e10 fuel for years with no issues, and I mix it with castrol r oil to give it that nice sweet motor racing smell mmmmmmmm :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

So what is the Additive for Ethanol stabilizing?

@Nudge- Nice engine!

@Everyone- The "cast gas tank" issue is for larger motorcycles- Does anyone know the direction in the DOT or other quagmire of rules I would BEGIN to look for standards on cast fuel tanks for highway travel? I think this may be my "Don Quixote's Dragon"...

I also realize that I need to walk before I run- so small handy castings first then grow bigger... probably gonna start with the Gingery series- and use that as a beginning... this roller coaster sure has alot of learning curves and steep expectations! WHEW!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Walking before you run is a good idea!
I cant help you with the rules about using a cast tank... but I'm sure "we" can help you make it! :)
I would think if you talk to a shop that makes custom cars or bikes they will be able to tell you.
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Well I have been browsing the local bike shops and asking about things like brake-cylinder covers, Air-intake covers and mirrors... I have started a bit of a notebook on things I want to experiment/make as well.

The fellow with the Mini-bike covers really turned me on to the possibility of several ventures- and FC's sage-like prattle and ideas are quite the bonus here... So in time.

But yes as much as I am talking- I am crawling right now. And I have NO doubt I will make the epic mistakes that are chuckle-worthy as well... A bit of a realist at heart.