Tidewater, VA checking in!

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Silverforge

Re: Tidewater, VA checking in!

Post by Silverforge »

Anyone have any suggestions about determining.g the alloy?
- no Mg in alloy... Did vinegar test... Not Zn either...
Too light... Not Zamak as its softer than the Za-12 I have played with.... Thoughts?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Maybe do a water displcement test to get a weight per volume to see if it matches aluminum. I looked under southern alloy and got several aluminum dealers but no pictures of ingots. Trying to figure out what the intials stand for ...G? foundry supply.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Will do- the density test will have to wait till I get my scales back from storage- I did score 3 motors from a motor wheelchair company locally- 24v and can move up to 300lbs at 4mph... so should be good enough to push my 50 pounds of petrobond around!

They even had the 90 degree gearbox so they are already in good to go shape... the electric clutch brake had to be removed as this is what made the motors inoperable- but with THAT out of the way- The initial bench test showed power up at 10-12v, and steady increase in rpm- now just have to figure out the gear ratio and start to build a muller! (More to come!)

Pics will ahve to wait till tomorrow- Im on night shift rotation now so doing this from work...
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've looked at some motors like that. They want $20 for them and with the electric brake it's hard to check them out. I've missed 2 treadmills sitting on the steet. I always have the car, by the time I come back it's gone.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Drop me a PM/address and I will mail one- if you want it. Im only gonna need 2 of the 3- and I have already taken the brake off and they gear up fine. I read alot about them on the "Battle-Bot" forums- these motors are used for the "tank" models.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

A great resource for all kinds of miracles is the Free stuff on Craig's List. It's incredible what people seem to be desperate to get rid of, RIGHT NOW. For whatever reason. And I mean some seriously good stuff.

Richard
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Another good resource is the "Freecycle.org" group. If you dont know about them- these guys are more dedicated to keeping things out of landfills and maintain their clubs locally organized... only in the US though, I believe a few clubs in Canada... But I have gotten a number of things from there. Yes you have to sign up- but its no cost and it has actually done very well for me in the time I have belonged to it.

Rasper- do you use Ransom/Randolph investments? What is a good and a bit forgiving starter investment in your opinion? (Or anybodys for that matter)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I have not used R & R. Where I live nothing is available. I have to go up to Mexico City to get any supplies. For investment I use brick dust and plaster (2 parts brick dust to 1 part plaster.) It works well for me. I brush a 1/8 inch thick layer of plaster and 200 mesh silica flour on the waxes before I invest them to capture maximum detail. With brick dust this is probably overkill as the brick dust contains enough very fine particles to fill in the detail.

Richard
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

OK- so do you use a ball mill for the making of the dust?
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I use a young man who works for me. He uses a variety of heavy objects to pulverize the bricks and roof tiles. Of course, unlike most of the rest of the world, labor costs and red tape in the US prevent such a method. I do have my eye out for an old cement mixer to use as a ball mill. And a couple of old cannon balls.

Richard