Refugee from the forum not working

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
PatJ

Re: Refugee from the forum not working

Post by PatJ »

mite5255 wrote:Pat do you get this when you try to go on AA Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home3/lioalloy/public_html/vb/includes/class_core.php
Line: 5437
I missed this post.
I am still getting use to the screen colors.

I get this message:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6415

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.

Rather frustrating I must say.
AA was one forum that I actually got a lot of usefuul information out of.
I would have thought the problem would have been resolved by now, but beggars can't be choosers, and it is (was) a free site.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Hey Pat,

I registered on your steam engine forum the other day, got back my confirmation e-mail from you, and now it says my username is not a valid username.

My username is/was rasper.

R
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Pat, your better off saying that your just a perfectionist in the extreme..anal can go too many directions
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

Rasper wrote:Hey Pat,

I registered on your steam engine forum the other day, got back my confirmation e-mail from you, and now it says my username is not a valid username.

My username is/was rasper.

R

Rasper-
I have been flip-flopping about opening it up again, and am not sure what the appropriate thing to do is at this point.
I don't have any communication going with Lio, so don't know what his wishes are.
Sorry for the chaos. You can rejoin if you wish. No mass exodus there. David and Donk.
I have decided I cannot attempt to try to temporarily host AA.
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

DavidF wrote:Pat, your better off saying that your just a perfectionist in the extreme..anal can go too many directions

I think of a perfectionist as someone who spends a lifetime buiding an 1/8th scale Titanic engine complete with every single valve and auxiliary part, and 10 million parts.

Or the guy who spends 3 months on the paint/finish on an engine.

Perhaps a better term is purist.
I like to build steam engines like they were built in the late 1800's, no better and no worse.
I paint my engines in 20 minutes with a can of paint and a paintbrush.
I don't buff out the sand finish on the parts.
I don't care about all the minute valves and piping, I just want a well designed engine that can carry a full load indefinitey.

Generally, my interst is the small working classs steam engines of old, not models, but like a Cretors or slightly larger, perhaps up to 150 lbs.
Function is king in my world.

The joke in the engineering world is that if an Architect designed a nuclear plant, his only desire would be that it would look like it would contain all the radioactivity, not that it actually would.
I think of looks as smoke and mirrors.
Function is what separates an Architect from an Engineer in many ways.

I don't want an engine that looks really pretty at a show, I want an engine with babbitt bearings that will pull a load indefinitely.
And I want an engine that people at shows can pick up, touch, look at, etc.
Nothing worse in my opinion than a big sign in front of your engine "DO NOT TOUCH".
The do-not-touch people are a-holes in my opinion, and worse yet, they don't really care about engine design they are just in it for the admiration/idolatry thing.

I better get off my soap box.

Edit:
In high school, there were to types of guys (more than that, but I simplify), guys with very nice looking cars, and guys with very fast cars.
I learned very quickly that the "sleepers" as we called them could leave the great looking cars in the dust when it came to drag racing.
I guess it depends on what you are in it for.
Performance is very important. Looks are the icing on the cake, and optional in my opinion.
Last edited by PatJ on Mon May 12, 2014 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

PatJ wrote:
mite5255 wrote:Pat do you get this when you try to go on AA Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
I missed this post.
I am still getting use to the screen colors.

I get this message:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'name' in [path]/includes/functions.php on line 6415

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.

Rather frustrating I must say.
AA was one forum that I actually got a lot of usefuul information out of.
I would have thought the problem would have been resolved by now, but beggars can't be choosers, and it is (was) a free site.
yep I get the same
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I think of looks as smoke and mirrors.
Function is what separates an Architect from an Engineer in many ways.
First off, I am not disagreeing with you. I am an engineer, an architect, and a designer, in addition to being a sculptor. My heroes of the past were able to incorporate all of them in their work. When I look at most of the machinery of the nineteenth century, I am staggered by how absolutely beautiful it is. The ships, the huge engines, the carriages, most all of it. When I look at most everything designed and built today, I am staggered by how incredibly ugly it is. Take for instance a modern cruise ship. What it communicates is "Modern people have no taste; all they want is excess."
Or modern race cars. Compare this:
with this:
What a hideous monstrosity.

I could go on.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

But I think the main reason behind the hideous monstrosity is, if he hits the wall at 200 mph, there's a good chance he will walk away. The older Ferrari will not go nearly that fast and he's a goner in a simple roll-over. I agree with what your saying, nothing is engineered for the eye, only function. Why do hybrid cars have to be so ugly?? The Volt is the only one that has any looks at all. Prius looks like a turd on wheels.
I don't mean to get off subject, I'm pretty OCD myself, if I can't do it the way it was originally or how I see it in my head, then I don't do it. This has killed me all my life, cause I end up doing nothing. I can't live up to my own expectations. I hope there are no shrinks lurking around. :P :shock: :lol: :twisted:
Where did I put my little white jacket that let's me hug myself? :?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

But I think the main reason behind the hideous monstrosity is, if he hits the wall at 200 mph, there's a good chance he will walk away.
I know my view of life is not shared by many these days. I consider a life well lived far more desirable than a long life. I think of the age of racing that that beautiful Scagglieti bodied Ferrari represents, with giants such as Fangio, Stirling Moss, Von Trips, Froilan Gonzales, Portago, the brothers Rodriguez at the wheel—and I compare it to the modern race car business, which is what it is, a business, where the team with the most money wins almost all the time, like in professional and now in college sports. The modern drivers remind me of the once extraordinary test pilots in Tom Wolf's book, The Right Stuff. The very best of them were recruited into the space program and suddenly found themselves merely live human bodies strapped into a metal can on the end of a rocket. All of their talent and spirit and daring were instantly rendered practically worthless; an ape could have done the same job. I imagine that pretty soon they will have the race cars so mechanized that the driver will just be there (or maybe will no longer be there) to push a stop button if the computer goes awry.

What I would love to see more than just about anything would to be able to go back to one of those races back in the 1930's, maybe the German Gran Prix, where Tazio Nuvolari in an obsolete and grossly underpowered Alfa beat the pants off of those German teams of Auto Union and Mercedes Benz with their 600 horsepower cars, with nothing but pure skill and the utmost daring.

Richard
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

Richard-

I have worked with some great architects who were superb at making something normal look exceptional, and at the same time giving credit where credit is due with regards to the engineers who design often times very challenging structures.

All too often though, the Architect ignores the engineers who create the structure around which they wrap their decoration.
Architects all too often claim the entire building, with no regard for who really made it happen (engineers).

As with all walks of life, you have the talented people who are equally good people, and then you have the a-holes who treat engineers like snoot.

My sweet revenge after working at the hands of some rather unsavory (and also some very good) architects was to start my own company, go directly to the owner and get the project, go out and hire a good architect, and then tell him that the design must be functional, and that he will not win an award for the beauty of it.
Too many architects literally live for the awards that they give out to each other. Some engineers are also that way.

I like some architects, and call some of them friends.
The big ego goes with the endeavor of being an architect, since if you are not really big on yourself then you will not convince anyone else that your work will be good.
I wish all architects were like the good ones I know.

A good architect is worth his weight in gold.
A bad architect treats others as something less than human.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Lets say that the glass is half full since there are a lot of good architects out there.

Pat J