Refugee from the forum not working

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
PatJ

Refugee from the forum not working

Post by PatJ »

Pat J here.
I can't get into the other forum, so someone mentioned this one.

I am into backyard casting, pouring cast iron specifically.

I see some familiar faces here.
Jammer

Re: Refugee from the forum not working

Post by Jammer »

Pat, you can go to "User Control Panel" under Board Preference and change to the Silver background.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Hey Pat,

Welcome aboard. I come here every day. I've written to Anon and Lionel about the problem over there but haven't heard back from either.

The guys here are real foundrymen. Dave Allen is the star of the stage right now. He has two projects going, both of which are an education.

R
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi Pat and welcome....I have been having issues with AA also, I do prefers this group, its more like a family here......And I agree with Rasper Dave is the star :)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Pat do you get this when you try to go on AA Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home3/lioalloy/public_html/vb/includes/class_core.php
Line: 5437
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

I zoomed in the page to be able to see things better with the dark background (the eyes are going).
Then I took Jammer's suggestion and changed to the light background, and almost did a backflip out of my chair when that came up.
Talk about night and day.

Ok, I will get settled in here in a minute with a screen color/size I can see.

Pat J

Edit: Wow, those are some wild colors. I guess I will go with the stock background color and just enlarge it. That seems to work best.
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

Ok, screen colors adjusted.

I got into castings to avoid the tedium of the brute-force method of machining model steam engines from bar stock.
Making model steam engines was a hobby I picked up from my dad when he died in 2006.

So I started a steam website, then a steam forum.
http://www.classicsteamengineering.com/index.php?t

The forum thing did not work out so well. I am a purist when it comes to steam engines, and I don't really want to build models, but rather real steam engines poured in gray cast iron, with babbitt bearings, etc., and exactly like the original small steam engines, down to the exact old-style bolts, studs, cast iron rings, etc.
I don't use loctite, or teflon, or caphead screws, or anything that they did not use in 1896.

Nobody is as anal as I am about steam engines, and so as you can expect, the forum thing went rather badly.
I still have the site, but there are no active members. I use it as a file cabinet for my pending steam engine designs, and a refuge and sometimes a hiding place from the harsh realities of life.

Pat J
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

You have a lot of great info on your site. I got into casting to make authentic parts for old letterpress machines. I've gotten totally away from letterpress but still have some projects to do.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

PatJ wrote:
Nobody is as anal as I am

Pat J
:lol: :lol:
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

DavidF wrote:
PatJ wrote:
Nobody is as anal as I am

Pat J
:lol: :lol:
LOL, yes, I see where that could be taken the wrong way.
In the engineering world, they use to say "you are anal-retentitive", whatever that means.
Then it got shortened to "you are anal".
Suffice it to say they were not saying good things about you, but generally it meant that you were so obsessed with details (often useless details) that you drove everyone else crazy.
Nowdays, in a world of hyper-liberalism, that could be taken the wrong way (or the right way depending on which side of the liberal stripe you are on).

But yes, I sweat the details, and some of it is due to working in the engineering world, where inattention to details causes bridged to fall, electrical systems to burn up, etc. The other part is a desire to fully understand a topic as it was understood in the late 1800's, which nobody seems to have any interest in.
I like to rediscover the knowledge though, and put it to use for engine design.

It is pretty cool when your design and data begin to line up with the old design methods.

Pat J