Hi All

A place to say a little about yourself, who, where, what sort of thing.
Nudge

Hi All

Post by Nudge »

I thought it was time to come and see where everybody was hanging out :D
Hope this place takes off just like BYMC did.

For those dont who know me, my name is Chris AKA Nudge
I live in New Zealand in a quiet street, my neighbours think I have gone a bit mad. Then they see what comes out of the work shop and "say thats cool, I wish I could make that" :roll:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
apuranga

Re: Hi All

Post by apuranga »

Nudge wrote:
I live in New Zealand in a quiet street, my neighbours think I have gone a bit mad. Then they see what comes out of the work shop and "say thats cool, I wish I could make that" :roll:
Ha, I think we all can relate to that!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

+2, I had my son inlaw working in the shop with me awhile back and I was grumbling about something or other being cobbled together and his wide eyed reply expressed his amazement that I could go out into the shop and make just about anything.

Glad to see you made it over here nudge, you always seem to have some cool project going on.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:I thought it was time to come and see where everybody was hanging out :D

The blokes that I work with think I'm firkin nuts, they seem to think one day they'll see a mushroom cloud from over my way :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

mite5255 wrote:
Nudge wrote:I thought it was time to come and see where everybody was hanging out :D

The blokes that I work with think I'm firkin nuts, they seem to think one day they'll see a mushroom cloud from over my way :lol:
They're just jealous... :lol:
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

one day they'll see a mushroom cloud from over my way
I thought I had done that one day :o I put some wood in the furnace to turn it into charcoal. It was just after doing a melt so the furnace was nice and red. After putting the wood in and shutting the lid, I put a brick on the vent hole. About that time it started to smoke so bad I couldnt see a thing..... So in my great wisdom I took the brick off the vent again. And.... you guessed it, with the new air rushing into the burner hole the entier thing lit up with a BOOM! The lid lifted up about 2 1/2" . it lifted about the same amount as the new found lump in my back pocket :shock: :oops:
As you can guess, I dont make charcoal like that any more. :roll:
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

I can relate to that Nudge. I'd just turned the furnace oil supply off and made a pour,then replaced the crucible and added aluminum for another melt.
Then I was interupted for a while and when tried to restart the furnace had cooled enough that the oil wouldnt ignite by itself so I thought "what the heck" and turned on the propane for a little warm up (mind you the lid was closed!). Well it was a pants filling event for sure(as you pointed out).The resulting explosion lifted the lid about 6"or so and flame shot out all around (I think a good portion of my life passed before my eyes before I realized what had transpired)evidently the furnace was warm enough to ignite propane.Luckily no damage to me or the shop,as this happened inside my garage it drew some attention from my wife whose been sure I would burn the house down at any minute while casting ( the garage/shop is attached to our kitchen and allowed the event to be noticed by said wife).She was looking to change the insurance policies(on me and the house)LOL. Actually this happened a few years ago and she is still with me.... Lesson learned: Start propane with lid open!!!
BP
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I had a friend do the same thing with the propane, just after I told him to open it :roll:

Return to “Introductions”