Yard Store

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
dallen

Yard Store

Post by dallen »

I don't know about the rest of the people in here but the one thing that really puts a kink in my day is to have to file Aluminum, if you use a Mill Bastard file it clogs up on the first pass, and it seems like nothing really keeps em from clogging.

Well heres a site in Wichita Kansas that sell new and used Aircraft Tools, the have Vixen Files these files are designed to cut all non ferrous metals and belive me they take all the hassle out of filing aluminum, or any of the soft metals that will clog a normal file.

They also carry a full line of tools and equipment used to work on Aircraft

http://www.yardstore.com/
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Yard Store

Post by Harry »

That is such a great tip David, I am going to get some files from them on your recommendation. I hate taking a file to aluminum because it is more cleaning the file than filing. Generally I will just sand rather than bother with a file.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The best way to file aluminum with a "normal file" is to draw file it. The key is to fill the file with chalk before you start.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

you can find them at some autobody shops that sell supplys for the lost art of leading, or look for somebody in your area selling aircraft tooling. I have one that I have had for years, it still cuts like brand new, I was using it on the flask panels that I was milling on last night for clean up, never had to clean the file one time.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette