locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
Harry
Site Admin

Re: locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Post by Harry »

I think I will wait until next week to order them to give plenty of time for anyone else to jump in. Will send out information for sending payment Sunday.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

checking on how we're doing on the order, and the chances of getting one of each a 1/2 and a 5/8 inch ?
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No problem on the different sizes David. You and HT are the only ones who have spoke up so I will go ahead and send PayPal information to you guys. I plan on getting a 1/2" and 5/8 myself.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

well the price is pretty reasonable for what your getting, and sometimes a guy just has to have what the big boys play with.
guess I better go look in the kitchen see if the x stole the melon baller, and ice cream scoop, be just like her to take the good casting tools.

now where did I put my sand shovel,

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The melon baller is great, this is my most used hand shaping tool. Makes real nice swirl gates, sprue wells and runners.

I dont understand why BCS doesnt have smaller tapered cutters, the prices on the ones they do have are great but they are way too big for what I pour at least the way I pour and gate. My choke runner from the sprue is a half circle about 3/4" (small end of the melon baller) so I dont need a sprue any larger than that because it is not part of the feed system, all that is after the choke. It takes me about 17 seconds to pour ~5 lbs of aluminum through this choke and is very easy to keep the pouring cup half full. Honestly I dont know that I need a tapered sprue cutter with this setup but it might come in handy on smaller parts that I do not use bobs on and gate straight from the sprue to the part.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Guys, just wanted to let you know I am going to wait a few more days to order these. It takes 3 days to get the money out of my paypal to my bank. I am in the process of getting a paypel debit card but it has not come in yet.I have plenty of money int he bank but I am just playing safe because I have an on again off again hold from HP on an order of 6 TouchPads that are supposed to ship this week and I want to make damn sure the money is in there if/when they ship so I dont miss out on them.

I spent 4 hours on the HP SMB site on the 20th of last month trying to get an order through for 3 of these when they went on the fire sale at $99 each and ended up with 6 in my cart and wasnt about to go back and change anything. Then since I use a PO Box they had to verify my billing address so they essentially took me out of the line and did not put me back in until the 25th, everyone who ordered when I did got theirs a couple weeks ago and I am still not sure I will be getting the ones I ordered. The other 3 are spoken for by family BTW, I think it will be great for taking out to the shop with me as a music player and being able to check in to forums and email through the day while I am working.

Anyhow I will post back when I order them, like I told David in a PM they have to order them in too so I dont expect this to be very snappy but I will certainly keep you all apprised as to where I am at with them.
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

thats ok, not in a hurry,,,,,,,,,,,,heck I may think of something else by the time you get em in your hands to mail. Who knows i may even have you throw in some catalyst or something,

4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

not to get too far off topic, but you will love the pads for music, and as an internet machine. They arent great for much else tho. I have an iPad...it wasnt my first choice, the missus scored it as a thank you from a client at work. Shes not much into electronics, so she gave it to me (tho, really, shes on my iPad as much as if not more than I am lol). Its terrible at most PC functions, but as a toy, its boss. Nice score nabbing those up!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
dallen

Post by dallen »

I was in wally world the other day looking for a melon baller, you believe the only one they had, had some sort of v-shaped serrated edge looking weapon on one end of it. But the other thing that I found haning there for like 4.95 was one of them turkey baster things that looks like a big O giant syringe, well this one was metal Stainless Steel so that them crazy cajun marinades wouldn't melt it or just eat the thing will you was trying to baste your Turkey.

The real intriguing thing about this was that if a guy was to take a cutoff wheel and make one little incision about a half inch from the small end and throw that big O rubber bulb away he'd have himself a pretty nice 1/2 inch Sprue Cutter, that would leave a tapered hole from the 3/4 on top (I believe my eye might of been off a little that day) to whatever it is where you made the cut.

Now I gotta go get one (didn't buy one the other day) do a little surgery on it, and stick it in some sand to check the results.

DA

dallen

Post by dallen »

wonder where we are at in this sprue cutter order???