locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
HT1

locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Post by HT1 »

anyone have an idea where I can locate someone that will retail me a 1/2 tapered spue cutter, I can find Wholesale, so I know they exist, just cannot find a retailer

V/r HT1
dallen

Re: locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Post by dallen »

Freemans has tapered sprue cutters but I don't think that small, how long does it have to be, I use a canolie tube they are around 6 inches long with the small end being about 5/8". but I think they can be had smaller.

DAvid
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

They have a couple at BCS but they are pretty large diameter, I would also like a couple with about a 3/8" or 1/2" on the narrow end.

Might try MIFCO, they seem to have just about everything for the foundry and have been competitive on crucibles when I checked before but I ended up going through my local foundry guy for them because he delivers and gives me a pretty good deal.

Be sure and let us know if you find something, Like I said I would love to get a couple of smaller diameter ones. I currently use brass tubes purchased at the local True Value from their craft supplies. They are very thin walled so they cut good, smooth so they empty easy enough and cheap at about $4.00 each. I think I have three or four sizes from 2/8" to 5/8".
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
HT1

Post by HT1 »

BCS has http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Sprue_Cutters.php large sprue cutters 15/16 in for $22.00
Mifco http://mifco.com/MS/catalog.php?op=inve ... 4&start=10 sells a 5/8 for $55.00
kindt-collins manufactures a 1/2 in sprue cutter, but they wholesale http://www.kindt-collins.com/catalog_pdfs/138-139.PDF and I could not find any of their destributers list on the web

I could use the 5/8, but I cannot see paying $55.00 for one .

Harry can you see what IFSCO wants for one 1/2 in or 5/8 , but it must be tapered. 6 inch long is fine for me, I'm going through 4 inch of sand.

V/r HT1
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

HT1, I had asked before and he just told me they were special order and quite expensive. Here is another that is 3/4" x 9, still a little larger than I want but then flow can be controlled in the gating.

Also found this one which offers down to 1/2" in various lengths. Sent them an email and see if I can get pricing on the 1/2" and 5/8" in 6 and 9" lengths.

EDIT*** Just noticed the Kindt Collins is the same one you listed. Maybe I can get them to sell them to me through my business name. Not sure what qty requirements they have though. Will find out what I can and let you all know, think if a few of us go in for them we can get an order together they are willing to deal with.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry if you have to do a minimum order I'll take one for sure, maybe a couple depends on the price. I like you use brass tube from the hobby section at Westlake Ace Hardware, I have three differant sizes in 3/8 1/2 5/8 plus the Cannoli tubes that are about 6 inches long and 3/4 on the small end, they work great but sometimes I don't want that large of a sprue hole on small stuff.

I know one guy uses a cordless drill to drill his sprue holes in petrobond he rams up pretty tight though.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I got an automated reply in Dutch from them that the email was no valid. Didnt realize they were not in the US. Will try to call a couple of their suppliers Monday listed on their site, McMaster Carr was listed but I cannot find them in their catalog by searching. There are 3 listed in CA though with one fairly close to my foundry supplier.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I contacted a few of the distributors on the Kindt Collins website and found two that had or can order 1/2" x 9" tapered sprue cutters.

Dayton Foundry Supply said they had 3 in stock at $45.37 each plus shipping but they gave me a number for the owner to order them and on calling him I found out they do not take credit cards so shipping would have to be estimated then mail them a check to order.

Tom Brown
937-325-7725

Larson Foundry in Utah I spoke with Reed who told me he could special order them and the 1/2" x 9" would be "about" $25 which I thought was a pretty good price. I told him I would find out if anyone else wanted them also and get back with him on an order. He also said that as the sizes move up (5/8" and 3/4") the price only changes by cents so figure about the same regardless of size.

I am thinking $35 each should cover both shipping here and forwarding ($5 US, AU guys I think these will fit in a small flat rate box which is $15 IIRC) to anyone who wants these or of course anyone can simply call Reed at 801-972-1111 but since it seems none of these businesses know how to take advantage of USPS flat rate pricing depending on what zone you are in it may or may not cost more.

Anyhow I will be ordering a couple of these later this week or next week so if anyone wants to add some in let me know and I will get an order going with them.
Muller
HT1

Post by HT1 »

$35 Sounds just jiffy. let me know when you wnat me to Pay..

And Harry, You are my hero

V/r HT1
dallen

Post by dallen »

put me in for one, let me know when to an how much to paypal to you