locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
Harry
Site Admin

Re: locating a 1/2 in tapered sprue cutter

Post by Harry »

David and HT, sorry I have not gotten back sooner. I fell sick a little over a week ago and was down for the count for awhile and since then I have been playing catchup. I have the order in with Larson Supply and am waiting on them to call me back, she said she would call with an estimated delivery but my guess is she will call when she gets them in.

The turkey baster sounds like it would work great, probably a little less taper to it but functional none the less. Are you wanting to cancel your order on the ones I am getting? If so I will just keep the extras.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

nope,the baster was just something that I found at walmart the taper in the tube is kinda sharp. I picked on up and bent it while trying to turn the end off to a decent diameter, its still usable but I didn't get a chance to try it today. I was in the middle trying to start an oil fired burner I think I may have it about ready to melt with, if i can get the oil to stop dribbling out the back onto the ground. anyway I fired up on propane and melted a bunch more of the wall of the furnace, cause I think that I may of left the lid up about half and inch. Damn pig not only melts iron like a hog you can't keep a lining in it.
I'll post a pic of the furnace in the morning.
David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I cut the leg off of a crappy table my wife threw out. It has a nice taper to it and is about 3/4" at the smallest. It's hard to push through sand, but if I cut a hole with some copper pipe then it's easy to give it a taper.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

I gotta take a picture of the baster after I cut the end off, I didn't try it yesterday do to room constraints in the flask I was using, Plus after looking at it in the bucket with other stuff it sure looks like the taper on it won't work.

But I'm a gonna give it a try

dallen

Post by dallen »

well I didn't get a picture taken of the baster tube that I modified, it did work though. I had cut the end of it off about and inch and a half which left a opening of about half an inch. I was able to push it down through 4 inches of petrobond sand that I had rammed up getting ready to pour a flask side panel, which thanks to no one butt myself didn't turn out. Poured the stuff too cold the aluminum came out gray instead of shiny. gotta go get some pizza for supper I think everyone have a nice evening.

dallen

Post by dallen »

update to the turkey baster saga;
heres a picture of the baster. of which I cut about 1.5 inches off the small end. it worked fine as far a cutting the sand and is a nice length so those that pack the sand hard you have enough to get ahold of it. cost about 4.97 at walmart

This second picture is of a canole tube anyway I found it in my favorite baking supply store, and no I'm not making cheesecake for all. This tube is about 5 inches long with the small end about a half inch. cost about 2.59 cents

if a guy looks around there are items that can be used for sprue cutters without paying an arm from something thats been made the same way for over a hundred years.

I am like Harry I use two or three different sizes of thin wall brass tube bought from the hobby section of WestLake Ace Hardware, (I'm not hyping WestLake Ace) just thats were I got mine at.

I am not against using the traditional tools either as I have three or four slicks that I have ordered from foundry supply houses and think that they make the job easier, most if these if a guy was to look at some of them he could make them our of spoons and bits of scrap metal.

To me its whatever makes my job of closing the mold easier I'll use it even if I have to go get it out of the kitchen, stuff's mine anyway.

Everyone have a good day casting and don't burn your fingers!

David Allen

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Looks good Dave, I do think its a bit tough that your not going to make us all a cheese cake tho, but if you do change your mind I do like passion fruit cheese cake :roll: :lol:
Any time I start scratching around the cooks kitchen she watches me like a bloody hawk :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

I have a tendency to not let any hawks roost too long, they start getting all bossy and bitchiefied it seems like to me.

I don't know about guy's that can't feed themselves anything but McDonald's,

Well its time to go melt something, hopefully not any more if the furnace wall, i have 4 bags of 3000 degree refractory on order should be here tomorrow, also have 10 lbs of Silicon metal on order will be here this week. price per pound on the Si wasn't too bad service charge really sucked 45.00, but I can understand the dude normally sells in 500 lb quantity bags. and in his own words them hawks don't work for chicken feed.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

HT and David, Just got a call back on the tapered sprue cutters. The pricing I was told was not quite right. Reed had told me about $25 each but for the 1/2" x 8 and 5/8" x 9 they are going to be $37 and $37.50 respectively. So it will be another $10 per or $45 each ($5 more for the second one if you are ordering more than one) which should cover the cost of mailing to me than out to you guys. I dont mind losing a little on the shipping but I dont want to start out in the hole.

Let me know if you guys still want these, Reeds Secretary checked availability on them and told me that if they do not have them in stock then it is 12 to 16 weeks but their supplier currently has them so they would be sent out right away. Time from their supplier to them then to me and on to you should be around two weeks. Lot of sending these things around. Also anyone is free to contact Reed at Larson Supply directly and order from them, was just trying to keep this simply and maybe save a few bucks on shipping as I dont know how they are on that with small orders.

The monies I have received are still sitting in the bank and can be returned if anyone is not cool with the updated price or timeframe so let me know as soon as possible so I can have Larson get the order in, would hate for their supplier to run out while I am waiting and then have to wait three or four months or start the search again for another supplier.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

sorry Harry but that price is a rip off, count me out, I was already at 65 bucks and now your saying its going to be like a bundle more. I can find stuff in walmart for 4.95 that will do the same thing.