Sand

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
dallen

Re: Sand

Post by dallen »

just saw this thread this morning, heres a shot of the bag that the sand I use comes in,

here's a place close to you that has sand.

http://www.brownshillsand.com/

its in Pittsburgh Pa

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

Thanks guys! And i did find sand really i found a few hundred tons of it i just cant buy it cuz they wont sell their raw products! :| So i have called around a few places and they say that either they don't have it or they only have 28 grit? that seems a bit thick to me i mean who has 28 grit sand? lol Im not done looking....
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

By the way Dave Pittsburgh is about an hour and a half from me down the turn pike then its a 20 bucks each way... the toll road has went nuts here and is owned by some guys from Dubai but with that being said you would thing as many mines and so on that are around me their would be sand to be gotten! i even asked the guy "Roger" what would happen if just a few 5 gl buckets were missing from a sand pile that's 6 stories high i mean come on lol gee whats messed up is most guys have trouble getting IFB or castable nope not me its right down the road from me all i could ask for lol but don't ask about sand lol damn!
dallen

Post by dallen »

look at the ground in your yard, there was a time when if someone was going to be casting metal they had to dig the molding material out of the ground. I have loam in my yard if I was to sift out all the grass roots that would make some pretty good molding sand, if I could just find the keys to the shovel

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

LOL I agree the keys to the shovel would be nice. I live in slate world where im at here so once i start digging i have very little dirt and then clay for about a ft and then its all slate and in some places in my yard it comes up though the grass kinda sucks its very thick and hard to dig anywhere around me...:/
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:look at the ground in your yard, there was a time when if someone was going to be casting metal they had to dig the molding material out of the ground. I have loam in my yard if I was to sift out all the grass roots that would make some pretty good molding sand, if I could just find the keys to the shovel

DA
What model shovel do you have Dave, mine was a 78FXE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2401_69407426132_6576_n.jpg
2401_69407426132_6576_n.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 4654 times
Last edited by mite5255 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Mine ya had to apply some initial downward foot pressure to get it started, but it was only good at dig'n semi straight rows. Couldn't get that sucker to do zig-zags or circular soil excavation. I think the handle was a bit too long, perhaps. 8-)
Attachments
16838_100658406634108_1689313_n.jpg
16838_100658406634108_1689313_n.jpg (90.21 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Mine ya had to apply some initial downward foot pressure to get it started, but it was only good at dig'n semi straight rows. Couldn't get that sucker to do zig-zags or circular soil excavation. I think the handle was a bit too long, perhaps. 8-)
WOW Frank ,that's cool, when did you have that, or do you still have it, did you build it yourself
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

mite5255 wrote:
F.C. wrote:Mine ya had to apply some initial downward foot pressure to get it started, but it was only good at dig'n semi straight rows. Couldn't get that sucker to do zig-zags or circular soil excavation. I think the handle was a bit too long, perhaps. 8-)
WOW Frank ,that's cool, when did you have that, or do you still have it, did you build it yourself

I built that, myself, Mike... between 1998 and 2000. Rode it like I stole it till 2005 when I traded it for a 1976 Corvette. Long story as to why I did, suffice to say I've regretted it ever since. That vette was nice, too... don't get me wrong, but the reason I made the trade was due my wife not willing to ride with me on any decent day. She was scared to death of it. So... I traded for the vette (with a T-top) figuring she'd love goin with me in that... NOPE... she was scared to death being in a fiberglass body sit'n lower than a VW's door handle goin down roads full of 4x4 trucks, and heavy suv's, and semi's... she was afraid we'd get creamed by one of 'em some day. So... I got sick of ride'n that alone, too, so I traded the Vette for another Shovel. This time I got an 81 shovel sit'n in the shop wait'n for some chop'n fun. Already built the ridgid frame, acquired the front and rear wheels I'm gonna use on it. Need to make myself a tank, seat, fenders, handlebars and front fork system to fit it. I'll pack up what I don't scavange off that 81 bike and store it. That way, I can (or whomever else gets their hands on it after I'm dead) can have the option of restoring it to its original factory condition. I thought you've seen this picture before?
volcom7114

Post by volcom7114 »

WOW very nice job F.C i was into the big V-TWIN sport bikes until an injury messed me up from the L5 down and the legs dont work like they once did but i loved my TL1000R it was a beast! also does coal powder make a big difference in green sand?? just wondering Ive seen a lot of people add it to the mix? and im still looking for damn sand! my next stop is a swimming store as i know its used in the sand filters.. but really out of all things i wait to get last cuz i thought "oh it wont be hard to find" and that was a croc of crap! I drove around to 4 diff places yesterday and none had silica sand im running out of options here geez.