Southwest Ohio

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
4cylndrfury

Southwest Ohio

Post by 4cylndrfury »

There arent a lot of Foundry supply houses specifically in the Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati) area, but more are available in the Columbus area (central Ohio) as there are several big supplier hubs there - Allied Mineral, Pilbrico etc.

The 2 biggest resources Ive found are:
A) Thomasnet.com - basically the Google of the industrial supply world. Enter a city or area, an industry, and BOOM...instant leads
B) The yellow pages...specifically Yellow page listings for boiler installation and repair . Industrial Boilers are built a lot like a Foundry Furnace. Most use real refractory for the fire box and an oil burner to fire it. The often have firebrck, ceramic fiber insulation, and castable/ramable refractory available by the bag. Often they are willing to sell small qty's and remnants to the general public.

I really only cast aluminum right now - bronzes and hopefully Iron are in the works. I use small scrap to cast - Hard drive chassis, small cast scrap from automotive and lawn mowers etc. The best source for these are garage sales and the scrap recycler.

just my .02 - maybe it will help someone out there!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison