Metal and Alloy Supplier

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
Jammer

Metal and Alloy Supplier

Post by Jammer »

This fellow posted this on the "other site", he said it was OK to post here too.

Deals for high purity small quantity metals at MetalShipper.com
http://www.metalshipper.com We offer very low prices on virgin metals (Bismuth, Tin, Lead, Copper, Nickel, Zinc, Aluminum, Antimony, and Pewter)

- Bulk discounts for larger orders
- Free shipping for all orders from 5 to 15 pounds
- Certificate of analysis with every order and on website for each metal
- Very quick processing and shipping with USPS Priority Mail or UPS Ground
- We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and PayPal

Coupon Code = ALLOYAVE10 (10% off order total for forum members - 100 total uses)

I know there aren't a ton of options for small quantity metals online, so hopefully you guys will find our site useful.

Thanks,

Ben
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Metal and Alloy Supplier

Post by Harry »

I saw that Ben and looked at his site. I suppose for small quantities and lack of other options it is ok but the prices just seemed high to me. Probably the high purity/certified adds to the cost but I have to wonder how many folks at our level of casting need this as most if not all of these metals can be found as scrap. My recycler can provide me with an astounding array of sorted scrap, it would be worth anyones time who is serious about casting to strike up a relationship with your local recycler. The place I go to is huge, probably 100 guys or more working there and they have a shredder that will reduce entire cars but they still take the time to deal with me coming in and buying 500 lbs or so of rims at a time because they get the price they would get hauling 150 miles and dont have to haul it.

I think my perception on this is probably in part due to the volume I am at so for someone needing only small quantities for alloying it might make more sense.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I buy some from the local yard too. It is good to have some pure stuff for alloying. I really like his pewter but I need to check on prices elsewhere. I going to check on buying some Silicon metal from a place in southern Ohio. I hope it's not a ton minimum but it probably is.
From what I understand, what most casters are looking for is some fairly pure forms of Zinc, Silicon, Manganese, Tin, and I would like some Nickel. I don't know if I would be able to do what I need with it since it's melting point is around 2650 F.
I wouldn't buy Aluminum from a source like this, Aluminum house wiring is about the purest Ally you can find, if you want to alloy something yourself. Pure Copper is pretty easy to find and Cast Iron is everywhere.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:I buy some from the local yard too. It is good to have some pure stuff for alloying. I really like his pewter but I need to check on prices elsewhere. I going to check on buying some Silicon metal from a place in southern Ohio. I hope it's not a ton minimum but it probably is.
From what I understand, what most casters are looking for is some fairly pure forms of Zinc, Silicon, Manganese, Tin, and I would like some Nickel. I don't know if I would be able to do what I need with it since it's melting point is around 2650 F.
I wouldn't buy Aluminum from a source like this, Aluminum house wiring is about the purest Ally you can find, if you want to alloy something yourself. Pure Copper is pretty easy to find and Cast Iron is everywhere.
if your talking about mariettaminerals.com his price is ok, but he charges a 45 dollar handling charge, I bought some from him its like .5 minus in size I've used some not much and I don't know enough about alloying to tell any difference except with C/I I can tell when I machine what I pour if I add FeSi to it or not, by the way it cuts. Some of the first that I poured way back when, the crust was so hard you could hardly cut it. and when I add it to aluminum I don't ever add very much even knowing I can add up to 4 or 5 percent without messing up too bad but first I need to know what I am adding it to, otherwise I could end up with way too much.

I know it does make some super nice Cast Iron.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
bhq100

Post by bhq100 »

Hello Jammer:

Thanks for posting our info on this forum. I'm a little late in taking your suggestion, but I wanted to introduce myself nonetheless.

http://www.metalshipper.com

We don't carry every metal under the sun, but we have the cheapest prices on the internet for what we do carry. For example a guy from Texas bought 15lbs of tin shot on our site last night using the free shipping (orders between 5lbs and 15lbs) and the 10% off coupon code (ALLOYAVE10). His total out the door price for 15lbs of tin shot was $215. Compare that to Rotometals and we are about $50 cheaper. Again, if you order in huge quantities, you probably go straight to a bulk supplier - but if you need small quantities we do the best we can to deliver at low prices. We are also adding Manganese Flake in the near future.

Thanks,

Ben