Supplies around Kingsport, TN

Supplier information and Creative Rummaging
chucketn

Supplies around Kingsport, TN

Post by chucketn »

I know there are folks near me with metal forges, or melting furnaces. I just haven't located any. I am looking for high temp fire clay or insulating castaable refractory within a reasonable distance of Kingsport, TN. I am willing to spend a day driving out and back. I cannot find these items in my area, and shipping is so expensive.
A buddy and I are wanting to build a furnace for melting aluminum and brass. Help me find a source of clay or castable refractory I can get to, please!

Chuck
MicroMark 7x14 lathe, X2 mill, 4x6 bandsaw, small foudry
Jammer

Re: Supplies around Kingsport, TN

Post by Jammer »

There should be a supplier in Knoxville and Charlotte. They are a little difficult to locate and then you have to convince them to sell you a small amount. They like to deal in tons. Check for refractory suppliers, kiln repair and boiler repair. A fellow told me of a boiler supply and repair in Chattanooga, They are supposed to have rammable refractory and Kaowool. The Rammable is great, no mixing just pack it in like modeling clay and fire it up. It comes in all different temp ranges. I'll let you know what I find. Fireclays are usually available at pottery supply stores, they have Bentonite and sand as well. Also, they carry Sodium Silicate (water glass).
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
chucketn

Post by chucketn »

I found a supplier that sells by the pound in Asheville, NC. Got the info by e-mailing the art teacher at the school I used to work at. My buddy and I will make the run and pick uo a couple hundred pounds.

Chuck
MicroMark 7x14 lathe, X2 mill, 4x6 bandsaw, small foudry
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

What are you going to get, fireclay or a commercial refractory? The commercial stuff holds up much better but costs more. The fireclay is difficult to fire properly.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Yes, you really do want to get castable refractory and not fire clay. If you are just going to do a few aluminum melts then fireclay and sand will do okay, but if you want to melt bronze or brass, or if you want a furnace that lasts, then get the real stuff. It is available. It should be in Asheville, and even closer. Guys who work on boilers use lots of it. (Water heaters and furnaces in office buildings and apartment projects for instance.) If you tell them what you are doing they will help you out.

Richard