4cylndrfury's Flask Patterns

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
4cylndrfury

4cylndrfury's Flask Patterns

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Real quick, a few shots of my flask patterns I made:

I want to say this was about 3" wide and about 7" long - just plain Luan Plywood.
Base stock:
Base stock:
Flask - Base stock.jpg (93.02 KiB) Viewed 2315 times
Here I attached some 90° aluminum channel to one end to make the corner. There are also some dogs attached to hold the rammed sand when you flip the drag to set the cope:
Corner and dogs attached
Corner and dogs attached
Flask - braket and ledges.jpg (82.4 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Filler added and some enamel rattle canned on:
Some filler and some enamel
Some filler and some enamel
Flask - filler and paint - inside.jpg (73.55 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
The front got a little decorative element added to not only spruce it up, but add some dimensional definition to the piece in an effort to add some strength. The added thickness will also allow me to countersink the holes I will drill into the final casting some so the fasteners dont stick out:
Front embellishment
Front embellishment
Flask - reinforcements - exterior .jpg (72.82 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
And a shot of the 2 pieces - the other piece is about 9 1/2" long, so youll have a pretty good sized flask at 7"x9.5"x3". I will have to cast each one 4 times to make a full set of flasks. The alignment pins will go into some channel I will add into the big open space on the front of the longer sides as I ram up the mold to cast these. I may also attempt to emulate Harrys alignment pins (harry, post those flask renderings you made in solidworks somewhere here on FDF:D). Theyre muy caliente!!!
2 sides
2 sides
Flask - 2 sides.jpg (82.05 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
More in the next post, as it appears 5 is the limit of pics to attach per post... 8-)
Last edited by 4cylndrfury on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Donk

Re: 4cylndrfury's Flask Patterns

Post by Donk »

Thats a bit tooo quick for me 4cf just looks like a bit of wood :ugeek:
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Ha, Donk, looks like youre too fast for me...I wasnt even done yet...you posted while I was editing, all I had submitted was the first pic lol

So, the patterns are larger than my current flasks with an opening of only 7"x7", so I had an excuse to knock together a new set. 11" long by 6" wide (if I remember correctly):
New Flask
New Flask
New Wood Flaskk.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
And a fun shot of both a pattern and the new flask in use:
molded flask pattern
molded flask pattern
Flask Pattern Sample Mold2.jpg (164.78 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
If these work out, I will make up a set of nicer, more precise patterns and maybe sell them cheap if theres a market for them :D
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thats a good looking design 4cf, I really like the simplicity of the pattern and really functional.

I have cast a couple sets in different sizes on mine but still have not come up with a pin system I like. The idea I had with the plates seemed like too much finish work (I really dont like the finish work end of things) so I have been thinking about some other way.A simple pin/hole like in your wooden flask above seems like about the easiest way to go. Have thought about using something like 3/4" x 1 1/2" channel for the handles, would like to get this in aluminum to make it easy for drilling the holes but have not been to town in some time where the metal yard is. Also thought about casting the channel which would probably be a lot smarter but havent made a pattern... sounds like I need to get off my duff.

Will post up a thread as soon as I come up with a pin/handle solution that works well for me.

Anyhow, great job... anxious to see the finished flasks. You are going to be so happy you took the time to make them once you start using them.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller

Return to “The Pattern Shop”