cart for my engine

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Nudge

cart for my engine

Post by Nudge »

I have been back in the pattern shop again, this time to make parts for a cart for my hit and miss engine to sit on.

First off I re sized the flywheel coding so the CNC would cut it 75% of it original size. I had a go at cutting it using MDF. I wont be doing that again, it turned into a big ball of fluff that took a LOT of cleanup :evil:
CNC cutting mdf wheel
CNC cutting mdf wheel
IMG_2270fd.jpg (134.1 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
After all of the cleanup I noticed one of the spoks was a little thinner than the rest. This was more apparent once the two halfs there together.
IMG_2277fd.jpg
IMG_2277fd.jpg (126.69 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
I am not sure if the thin spoke it a fault with the code or if it is with the mill.
What would be the best way to find out?

I will show more tomorrow, it is late and my fingers arnt working right. :roll:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Harry
Site Admin

Re: cart for my engine

Post by Harry »

One thing I have read people doing on the fuzzies Nudge is paint or varnish the cut part in place then run the code again once dry. Supposedly this stiffens the fibers and lets them cut next pass over.

The one thin spoke is odd, you would think if it was in the machine it would appear in the rim also. The only thing I can think of is if there is flex in the machine then an operation removing a substantial amount of material could pull the Z down more going one direction getting more bite then another.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The thing is I have cut the same thing about 8 to 10 times now, from full size down to 25% and it has been the same :?
I am thinking it maybe the code might be the problem. I had Cxevalo do the code for me, He did not test it. So I am not blaming him.
I would love to know how to do a drawing like that so I can make my own in the future. I have 2D/ 3D cad (Design Cad 3D max 16) I know how to use it in 2D as I use all the time for house plans...But when it comes to the 3D part I'm a bit lost on how to start.

What do you cut most of your parts out of???

Here is a pic of some of the other parts that make up the other castings for the cart.
The back axle before I gave it the chop
The back axle before I gave it the chop
IMG_2275fd.jpg (123.6 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
I didn't like the square bits where the axle will go through so I gave it the chop and added some round bits.
I'm not sure how these parts will ram up, Imay need to cut them down the middle to make a 2 part pattern. :roll:
All the parts after adding the round bits
All the parts after adding the round bits
IMG_2279fd.jpg (136.63 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
I will be making a new base because I mis measured one of the parts, but this is how the cast parts will sit once done.
How the parts fit on the base
How the parts fit on the base
IMG_2276fd.jpg (126.11 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
Im still not sure if I will cast these bits in Aluminium then paint it or in bronze like the rest of the engine and leave it as is :? What do you think :?:
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Bronze, aluminum or painted that will look sharp any way. About those bosses for the axles, do you need the two in the center? They are gonna be tough to drill (looks like they are beyond the reach of a standard drill bit anyhow).

I have used all kinds of different woods for patterns from MDF to Mahogany, as long as I have the mahogany on hand that is generally my go to because it cleans up so good and it is very stable. I have used Poplar and Pine in the past and they have their good points (namely cost).

Not familiar with Design Cad but maybe there is some tutorials on the net, that is how I learned to use Solidworks.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

I would do it an Al. It will still look nice and cast, but not be an anchor.

I would also change the axle bosses. Maybe double thick on the outer bosses and lose the middle ones. Shape them into the frame a bit too.

I love your work! Can't wait to see it mounted. Will you actually be using the engine for work of some sort or just for demo?
Only the highest standards of precision!
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

This is what I was looking at when making my cart, I took the pic's while I was fixing the guy's garage door :)
DSCF2468fd.jpg
DSCF2468fd.jpg (83.61 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
DSCF2467fd.jpg
DSCF2467fd.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 4727 times
I was thinking of using a 1/8" steel rod for the axle ( that was the reasion for the center bosses) I think I might chop them off.
The engine with it's fuel tank (full) and the water in the coolint tank is 3.5kgs (7.7lb) so it is not that light :shock:
Will you actually be using the engine for work of some sort or just for demo?
Of corse it will do some work :) I'm thinking of making a chord saw to go with it. the blade that I have for it is 2" so I can cut wood with it :mrgreen:
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For that Nudge I would say go for iron... we are talking old iron here and that would be true to it plus I have not seen you post any iron casting yet. Of course I have not either but I am salivating at the thought and will soon be doing some iron casts.
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I was thinking of making the enging in iron but I have yet to do any iron :roll:
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Nothing to Fear, but Fear it's self! :lol: :P
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Some good words taken from the end of a good 80's Black band :P

You are so right Jammer. I will have to give it a go :)

Is there any good tips you can tell me, do I need to cover it with charcoal?

Return to “The Pattern Shop”