cart for my engine

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Nudge

Re: cart for my engine

Post by Nudge »

looks like I might use my tiny A2 for the first try :roll: Do you think that it will still heat up in a big furnace? Should I add a few bricks to the furnace to take up some of the room?
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

You need a "Flame Trainer". :)
I don't know my little crucible got up to heat just fine in the big furnace and if you put bricks in, you'll have to heat them up. If your using oil, I don't think I would. :?:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

one problem I have in my big furnace is that its way to big for the crucibles that I have at the moment, but when I made it I didn't want to have to build another furnace later on down the road, is its pretty good sized, with a 12 by almost 18 inch bore in it. So with my A10 that I use for iron I loose a lot of heat over the top and out the exhaust hole, but I can't put a pllith in thats tall enough to make up the differance it would be to unstable. So I have to live with it, and I can't use a larger crucible at the moment because one person can't handle an A16 by theirself not full of iron.

An A2 thats pretty small will it give you the amount of iron that you will need for your mold, you can find out if your furnace will melt iron by just holding a piece in the exhaust and if you see it start to sweat, the iron will start to bead up on the edges like Aluminum does.

After Jammer was saying that he used LImestone from his driveway I'm going to the feed store and get me a bag of crushed oyster shells see if they will help. Now I wonder what else Kirk says in his book that I need to go back and reread.

I've seen several referances to these flame trainers, do they help, how much room do you leave around the crucible if/when making one, looks like I'm gonna be buying another bag of refactory.

Really should just get my hind end in gear adn build a cupola,

David, so many things to build, so little time to do it in
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

dallen wrote: I've seen several referances to these flame trainers, do they help, how much room do you leave around the crucible if/when making one, looks like I'm gonna be buying another bag of refactory.

Really should just get my hind end in gear adn build a cupola,

David, so many things to build, so little time to do it in
I'm with ya on the Cupola, I've got lots of Iron projects that I can't do with a crucible. 8-)
Harry will have to dig up his flame trainer info... as a matter of fact, We should all bring out our old threads of our best projects so this site has some good info to glean from. :D

Harry and I both have store bought waste oil siphon burners and Nudge has one he built. Our better furnace and tool builds.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I did bring over quite a few of my projects I posted on BYMC over the last three years. Here is the flame trainer post.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller

Return to “The Pattern Shop”