Gear Generators

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Harry
Site Admin

Gear Generators

Post by Harry »

Thought some might like this.

Gearotic Motion

I havent played much with it but from what it says on the site it looks like it might be pretty good for making dxf files to use in cnc'ing gear patterns. These might also be a good addition to the pattern library that has been talked about.

One other thought I wanted to pass along and maybe get some feedback on. Since we can get so much better or a pull with draft on a pattern and a gear would be a huge pain to clean the draft off afterwards how about flipping meshing gears over to reverse the draft? Seems like it might be a good way to both include draft on the pattern and have a more useful as cast part. is there some kind of failure in the logic of doing this like gears that want to creep out of alignment or something?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Re: Gear Generators

Post by Nudge »

I will think on it and get back after I have had a better look at the link :)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Re: Gear Generators

Post by Jammer »

Putting a draft on gears has always bugged me too. That's why I liked FrankG's approach. He would cut his gears and pulleys out of foam on his CNC machine, even cut his name in and cast it, lost foam, in petrobond (I think). They came out perfect. No coating with plaster or anything, he just rubbed the sand into the teeth by hand to make sure it filled in. The one gear I remember was about 6" dia. and must have had 120 teeth on it.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)

Return to “The Pattern Shop”