Inlet manifold for a Royal Enfield

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Inlet manifold for a Royal Enfield

Post by mite5255 »

My brother in Sydney emailed me again last night say a mate in his bike club has a Royal Enfield motorbike and wants to change the twin amal carbs to a single more modern carb, he was asking if I can make a manifold for it, I though about it and then looked at roccos ( Hi rocco) post on the old bymc site when he was building the manifold for his mate doing speedway, I then phoned my brother and told him as long as he's in no great hurry I'll give it a try.
I'm now waiting on this person to phone me so we can have a chat about it.

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Re: Inlet manifold for a Royal Enfield

Post by mite5255 »

Hey rocco hope there's no copyright on the process you used mate :roll: :D

Mike
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

My only stipulation is that you take and post lots of pictures. Other than that, sounds like good fun, have at it.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Will do mate, I'm waiting on a call so I can discuss what he wants and that's if he does actually call. Never in my life have I ever done anything like this, wife thinks I have bitten of more then I can chew so I think I might have to start chewing like fkn crazy :lol:

Mike
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

Your wife may not have faith in you to pull it off, but I do. Just take baby steps, one at a time, think every one through then move on to the next, you'll get there in no time.

BTW, when I started even the friend I was making that manifold for wasn't sure I could pull it off, you should have seen the grin on his face when I showed up at his shop with the raw casting. That was my very first casting project, great fun, learned on hell lot doing it and picked a bit of "street cred" along the way in so much as I'd announced I was going to do something no one thought I could and then actually pulled it off.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I remember well your working through that casting Rocco and was very impressed with every step you made through it, doubly so that it was your first real project in casting, the whole thing (the part and pattern and core threads) was nothing short of inspiring. I have yet to do a casting utilizing even a simple core so that remains somewhat mystical to me, did mix up some SS and sand and see it is not all that big of a deal. The Sodium Silicate really hardens up the sand making it tougher than I had thought it would.

Mike, like Rocco says, one step at a time and you will without doubt be able to complete this casting. Now being able to price it out to cover your time is another story but you and I both well know much of this is a learning experience. First we learn how to do it then we start making it better both in terms of final part quality and amount of time it takes to make it.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Good luck with it. As others have already said... You can do it! :D
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks for the encouragement, at the moment I'm waiting for him to contact me so we can discuss what he wants. At this point in time its the learning experience that I'm after and it I can make a dollar or two along the way then that will be a bonus ;) . One of the big issue is the fact that he's so far away, like 1200 klm away :roll: but I do think we could easily overcome the distance
Rocco wrote:Your wife may not have faith in you to pull it off, but I do. Just take baby steps, one at a time, think every one through then move on to the next, you'll get there in no time.

BTW, when I started even the friend I was making that manifold for wasn't sure I could pull it off, you should have seen the grin on his face when I showed up at his shop with the raw casting. That was my very first casting project, great fun, learned on hell lot doing it and picked a bit of "street cred" along the way in so much as I'd announced I was going to do something no one thought I could and then actually pulled it off.
It will be done in small steps if it come off and the street cred would be cool :D

Mike