Yet another pattern for flask sides

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
barryjyoung

Yet another pattern for flask sides

Post by barryjyoung »

Yep, another pattern for flask sides. This is a pattern for sides for snap flasks. It is made with a loose piece on the corner. The loose piece allows a tab which will be for bolting two sides together to form a corner. The other end will take either a hinge or a draw catch to make a snap flask. You will notice on the inside (opposite the logo side) there are wells for sand retention. Since this one pattern will be used to produce sides in 6, 12, 24, 36, and 48 inch lengths there are sawing blocks at those lengths. This pattern will be used to cast a Master Aluminum pattern then all of the sides will be cast from that Master Pattern. The sides will be cut to whatever length is required, drilled for two bolts in the tab and drilled and tapped for either a hinge or a draw catch. In this way one pattern satisfies the sides for 6x6, 6x12, 12x12 etc. etc. Flasks. In use, one side of each corner will be upside down when bolted to its mate. It will become more clear once I have finished castings to show you. This is my first pattern so please be gentle. Thank you.

Barry
Attachments
DSC02325.JPG
DSC02326.JPG
DSC02327.JPG
DSC02324.JPG
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Yet another pattern for flask sides

Post by Harry »

Nice, that is going to be one heck of a casting. Great work on the personalization.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Thanks Harry. We will have to see how the castings turn out.

Barry
ian b6

Post by ian b6 »

it will be interesting to see how straight it cums out i have produced a few banana effect flask sides trying to stretch that far some in packing and others shrinkage
Ian
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Yea, it looks kinda long. Don't Ask me to help turn that bad boy over :shock:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Ian b6: Yes, it will be interesting to see. These are things I have yet to learn. Do you mean that a casting can shrink more on one side than the other causing it to warp? I had not thought of that.

Nudge: Most of my castings will require a flask under 24 inches in length and 6 in width. Only my fence parts will be long, and I have plenty of helpers for those. So you are off the hook.

Barry
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is nice to have one really long flask that will catch anything too big for your others. My current longest is 23" and 9" wide and I will be using it mainly to make flask sides for everything under that.

Looking forward to seeing this cast as it is considerably longer than anything I have done.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller