Helm Wheel Pattern

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
HT1

Helm Wheel Pattern

Post by HT1 »

I have a commission for a 6 inch Helm wheel Plaque.
1.jpg
I started by carving one spoke from a mahogany dowel and sanding it in half
2.jpg
The center hub was sanded from a piece of !/4 inch oak
3.jpg
I glued the spoke half to a piece of 3/4 plywood, and wrapped it with tape for a dam so I could pour an RTV mold
4.jpg
Here is the completed RTV mold and the original
5.jpg
I cast 8 resin spokes, and sanded them flat on the back, slightly (1/32) thinner then the original.
The outer ring was cut and sanded with draft out of a piece of 1/4 birch plywood. you can see the first of the arches for the spokes here
HT1

Re: Helm Wheel Pattern

Post by HT1 »

6.jpg
here is the outer ring with all the notches for the spokes carved and sanded. you can see I simply glued the paper from my original template rather then laying it out with a compass. saves time on ornimental projects where shrinkage is not a concern
7.jpg
here is everything glued and assembled on the matchboard with gates and runners. the miscolored spot on the bottom is where the ring was sliced with the bandsaw to cut the interior. I used mahogany wood putty to fill the gap. the entire thing will be lightly filletted, and coated with several coats of sealer, before it's first use. yes one of the runners is a little longer then the other. I was more concerned about not getting it too close to the flask, marked lightly in pencil on the matchplate, then it being perfect symmetrical.
dallen

Post by dallen »

beautiful work, thanks for the how done part.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Very nice, you make it look easy.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

he just doesn't show the hard parts, like how many times his fingers hit the sanding belt.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Very nicely done. Thank you

Barry
HT1

Post by HT1 »

dallen wrote:he just doesn't show the hard parts, like how many times his fingers hit the sanding belt.
used a random orbit benchtop, it is much easier on the fingers then a belt sander, especially when sanding those flat spots
castaway

Post by castaway »

Are you casting this facing up or down? I alway cast wih the good side facing down on one sided patterns, there's less chance of crap going to good side because it usually floats and ends up on the back side. Bob

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.
HT1

Post by HT1 »

casting in the drag is generally prefered. the only things I have ever cast in the cope was ring billet, which is special anyway, and patterns that had so much detail on the edges, that they have to be horn gated because there was no place at the parting line to run gates
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

that IS a sweet looking pattern, Nice work :P
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!