wood lath

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
dallen

Re: wood lath

Post by dallen »

the dro that I have on my mill has outputs to feed the scale readings into a cnc computer running as you say Mach 3, only reason for using encoders is if your running servos instead of steppers. I still have a couple parts to aquire before I can do anything one way or another.
I would like to do this to my big mill, but will probably start with the mini get it working them turn around and do the big mill, I know that this will mean that I have extra expenses an twice the work but hey its for me and I'm the one doing the labor so I guess all the money I would have to pay someone else to make mounts an such I can put in the pickle jar for bigger and better toys.

Harry what drivers are you using Gecko's or ? thats one of the things that I still have left to aquire but if the company doesn't send me someplace soon, I may have to rob the pickle jar for money to buy them with.

Also ran onto a Nema 23 mount this morning on Evil Bi$%h milled out of a solid block of aluminum bar stock, had that trick word Billet attached to the name, cute little things all shiny, I think it would make a nice little casting project to cast up some blocks drill & thread some bolt holes, cut a 3/4 by 1.5 slot in one side, bore the center out, nice afternoons worth of work.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Maybe encoders is the wrong term, basically I mean a manual jog dial for each of the axes so you can still use the mill manually just not by spinning the hand wheels. You do lose tactile feel but the machine is not strictly cnc that way.

I am using drivers from Keling Inc David. I would not buy from them again though unless they just had a screaming deal on motors or something because I did not like the support on the products I bought from them when I had some problems right at the beginning. For drivers I would go with the G540 for smaller motors and G201v for larger (Nema 34). You can get a nice plug and play set of motors, G540, cabling and PSU from cncrouterparts.com and Ahren over there is great to deal with.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

pulse generator or joystick will do what you want, even easier to just add a handhelt with the joystick in it, that was all you do is move the table where you want it of cut with it, I don't really plan on doing a full blown cnc deal I just want the table movement for doing facing cuts and working in the flat to coordinates like drilling bolt patterns jus thate cranking on them damn hand wheels. all milling machines should be sold with X & Y table drives,

I'll check em out in a few days I got some nema 23 485 in troque motors to move my table with I just need the stuff to hook it up then maybe I can get Krash out here to help hook it up and make the motors spin.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Well I got my wood lathe, and for the princely sum of $75.00, I have now put something else on my plate to learn :?
Mike
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (118.12 KiB) Viewed 5189 times
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Time to make a cannon pattern..... hint, hint. you know for the casting contest.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I have make a stand for it first, then learn how to use it, the last time I used a wood lathe was about 1968, the year I left school.

Mike
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

it will take longer to make the stand than it will take to learn how to use it again. :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Well I damn hope so nudge ;)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Who needs a stand? A 12 pack of your favorite brew and you will be thinking why is this thing so damn high?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Just plug it in and give it a go.
This guy can do it with his feet... I dont see why you can't. :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnv0DAR_gWA

(Dam thing won't link up proper) :evil: