Fuel tank holder

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Fuel tank holder

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all. One of the managers at work has asked me if I can cast the casting that's in the photo,its a gas drum holder from a model A ford and it bolts to the running board, no problem as such with doing the casting but just below the word spirit is two lugs that have recessed groves that I assume the fuel drum slots into (see 2nd photo)and there lies my problem, how do I cast those groves or I could even cast them solid and machine them later but how would I machine them

Mike
006.JPG
009.JPG
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Fuel tank holder

Post by dallen »

there is a term for the type of molding that is required to do that very thing, but I can't for the life of me think of it at this moment. I would machine then after casting using a T-Slot cutter or Woodruff Cutter it cut the lips with out touching the rest of the casting, and with the holes it would be a snap to bolt down on the mill table. the holes I would cast as solid but have the layout in the pattern so that you don't have to scratch up the casting to lay then out after casting. whats the bottom look like it hollow? or solid. The lettering you can pick some up from most hobby/craft stores here in the states no reason to buy regular foundry letters unless you can get them cheap.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

Mike

did some digging in the books this evening and finally found what I was thinking of last night, its called loose pattern. basically what it means is that the part that would form the lip is pinned to the main part of the pattern with loose pins so that they can be removed and the part of the pattern pulled separate from the rest of the pattern.
after looking at the picture of the part again I think it would be a lot easier to just use the mill and cut the lip on the part. even if you had to make the cutter yourself to do a one off part it wouldn't be hard to do with a piece of drill rod or a broken endmill cutter that still has one good flute.

David

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O think David has nailed it other than the question of using the original for the pattern. Would the shrink be acceptable? You could build the perimeter up if needed and the protruding piece could be filled to be able to make a destructive pattern that you could then do as David suggested and use a loose part on the pattern.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks for the info Dave, it is hollow underneath and I'll be using the original to make my pattern. A woodruff I think would be the way to do it, I'll give it a try anyhow when I get the part back as it had to go back on the car for some car show

Harry.I'll be building up the outside with masking tape, I'll paint the tape with spray body filler so by the time I make my pattern then a copy it should all be the same size

Ahhhhhhh it just clicked in on how the loose pattern works :P, I'll try the woodruff cutter and at some point I'll give the loose pattern a try

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Dave what is the name of the book you use for reference

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

the book that I was looking at is titled Wood Pattern Making by herbert J. McCaslin. Heres a link to ABEBOOKS with the book selected, you will find at the bottom of the page a seller with free shipping from UK it will be a paperback book but I have an original and the paperback. its a great little book that was used as a school text book on pattern making.

If you follow the link be sure yo click on destination under were it says shiping on the right hand edge of the page an select Australia to see what the shipping will be.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... ng&x=0&y=0

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks Dave, i'll check that out when I get home, I'm at work at. The moment doing a damn night shift :?
dallen

Post by dallen »

suns up finally so I guess I better get something done, like make coffee. the book is a nice little book to have laying around as a reference on how to make patterns. it explains a lot of things that people like me need to know about patterns but don't.

found this on google books
http://books.google.com/ebooks/reader?i ... put=reader

older book different author but should have some information in it.

Don't work to hard

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks for that Dave, I've brought that book off Amazon plus the US navy foundry manual from ebay

Mike