Fuel tank holder

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Nudge

Re: Fuel tank holder

Post by Nudge »

so can you scan the entire thing now and post it up for the rest of us. :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Sure thing nudge, but its gunna cost, the all black have to throw the game :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

your welcome
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Sure thing nudge, but its gunna cost, the all black have to throw the game
I cant do that, it would look like it was rigged. :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:
Sure thing nudge, but its gunna cost, the all black have to throw the game
I cant do that, it would look like it was rigged. :mrgreen:
Wellll its too late now anyhow :roll:, I believe you play the frogies next I just cannot pick who I'll cheer for :roll:
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Use the original for a pattern, Mite. Use resevoirs to compensate for the shrink effect. You'll have to make a bigger flask, of course, AND ensure you'll have enough melt to fill both the cast and the resevoirs. Gate directly into the side of the piece with a short feed, likewise with the resevoirs. Make your resevoirs five times the thickness of the area you're feed'n into. Let your packed sand dry for a couple days, too. Pack it good and tight with ample relief vents made with a coat hanger on the back side of the cast. After your packed mold airs out (do this with the two halves open to the air), close it back up and fire the furnace. Don't worry if you can't get the resevoirs entirely filled but if you can that would be the ideal. You can make resevoirs by either carving them or pack'n some kind of kiddie cup into the mold to create the resevoir shape. Place one resevoir at the middle of each side and use one of the resevoirs as the pouring cup. Your gates from the resevoirs shouldn't be more than a 1/4 inch to the cast and twice the thickness of the cast you're filling. When you melt your aluminum watch till you see the whole melt begin to glow a subtle pink hue. At that point, shut down your furnace and purge the melt with a thumbnail size piece of Tidy Bowl toilet cleaner cake. Fashion some way to place it onto a stirring rod end so when you plunge it into the melt it will stay below the surface... then stir while it's bubbling and off gassing. This will only take a few moments. Then remove the stir rod, skim the melt (there will be a lot of ash), then pull the melt and pour. That stuff will flow like oil into your mold and will hold its heat longer than if you poured without purging it. Also, it will cast without being brittle. I could knock that out in a hour from start to finish and lose no more than a 1/32"... if that!!

The fumes off that Tidy bowl cake smell like fireworks powder that's flared off. I've inhaled a lot of it over my time with no ill effects, not that I've deeply inhaled it, that is. I always cast using that with an open shop door, too.

Good luck.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Clamp your flask, too, by the way... and pour that thing fast by gagging the pouring cup. Gagging, if you're unaware, is filling the cup quick till it almost spills over (keeping your crucible as close as you can get to the pouring hole). The idea here is to shove as much metal you got into that hole as quickly as possible so it will span the distance inside the cavity and fill the resevoirs... well, fill as much as your volume will accommodate. Keep the bottom of your resevoirs even with the upper most part of the cast you're trying to fill... or no lower than the thickness of the gate you have made to connect them to the cast. Your gate connection from the resevoirs should also be about three inches wide to maximize flow distribution and draw to compensate shrink from the piece as it's cooling.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wow thanks for the info frank :D , I'll print that out and study it at work tomorrow

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

One question tho do you know the active ingredients for Tidy Bowl toilet cleaner cake ,I don't think we have that product here in Australia but would have something similar I would think

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

swimming pool clorine tablet.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette