Zebra Clutch cover

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Jeff Clark

Re: Zebra Clutch cover

Post by Jeff Clark »

I spent most of sat melting down some 356, so before I went home I tried to cast a part same problem with the 356 as the 6061, I know my patters are good so about the only thing is im poring too cold or not getting enough volume in my runner, Well I made some changes got things a bit hotter and I made a larger runner and decided to give the 6061 another try... This is the finished product im happy with this.

Now I need to keep duplicating this..
Pour Naked!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Happy? I'd be ecstatic. Looks great.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

yes that looks really brilliant...
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Thank's guys!! Ive been messing with it every day for a couple weeks, im verry new to the casting part but I will get it down!!
Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

it takes some time but it will eventually all come together into the part or parts that you want to make at your standards, but its like a little kid trying to learn first we have to crawl

beautiful part by the way
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

I have found also my Patterns need some attention to the design of them, Now they are exact replica of the part but to make things easier in casting and molding I decided to add a 90* lip where the cover ends, I will be able to place a runner and riser on that lip and then I can just run the part around the bandsaw and be done. Now im connecting the runner and riser directley to the edge of the actual part buy adding this small lip to my pattern I think I will have a much higher quality part and I know molding time will be cut in half.
Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

that lip will give you a place where you can put a big runner around the part then gate into it to get a lot better fill on the cover.

how about a shot of one just out of the sand?
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Dallen I was thinking the same thing, when I have my camera at the shop and next pour ill get a pic. Im going to start changing my patterns tonight that will make my life alot easier and save alot of time molding and finishing my parts..
Pour Naked!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice and shiny Jeff, looks great.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

This is the change im making to all my patterns I put the lip on all my cover patterns I still need to finish them off, this will make my life much easier.

Pour Naked!