Zebra Clutch cover

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
dallen

Re: Zebra Clutch cover

Post by dallen »

I need to see about making a pattern for a belt guard for the column drive that I put together on my mill. I like the flange/lip idea gives lots of room to get your metal into the cover. And its not like its wasted as what your going to saw off goes back in the pot. so even if you make it a like 3/16 to a 1/4 inch thick you might get away with only a sprue and a shrink bob. be interesting to see the first one you pour.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Dallen, I really think this is going to be the ticket for a faster cleaner mold process and a good even pour as well I think all around it will make a better part, also I do not have to spend anytime cleaning the edge in the sand now and im happy about that! I should have some of the changed patterns ready for some experimenting this weekend Ill keep you posted and get a pic up.
Pour Naked!
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Deciced to make sure the flange would mold out before I got too deep in my pattern changes, my sand was cold but looks like it will work great.

Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

I like that edge on there Jeff, it makes it so that you can get the metal into to the actual cover in a fast and orderly way. waiting to see it after you make the pour. How thick are the covers on average if I may ask.

Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Just under a 1/8 I like it for a few reasons, fill and I will have a much nicer edge on my part now and when im molding now I do not have any real cleaning to do on the edges they are getting trimmed off, I can just run my thumb around and make sure I have no loose sand. I night get a pour in this weekend not sure Im going to go ahead and get all my patterns changed over then I have to cast me a whole new set of patterns with the changes and my old patterns with the mods will go in a box.
Pour Naked!
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Im getting a little bummed, im getting alot of incomplete pours, what am I doing wrong? I really like the flange ive added and feel when I get this down wil be great for the finish of the part but this teaching myself is really starting to suck....

Now im pouring my parts facing up you can tell by pic so my melt does have to flow up hill this might be one of the problems not sure? I was pouring this way figuring if some sand was a bit loose it would be on the back side of my part and not the front, I might have to flip it over next pour?

Is my melt too cool? Some good advice at this point would be great... I know im verry new to the casting part and sure when I get it down will be fine but im getting a little frustrated....

I decided to try out two of my new patterns last night, I need to get some cast in aluminum and the master put away but the outcome was not what I wanted.. Part on left is 356 part on right is a blend 50/50 blend 356/6061

Help me out here guys

Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

I would say that your metal isn't hot enough also the gate into the rim could be thicker, do you have a thermal probe so you can check the melt temp?. the one on the right in the picture looks like it may of been hotter from the color/shiny look, usually with my melts when I am too cold with thin stuff it will come out looking dull and have a not rough but not smooth feel to the casting. Cold sand can cause short pours also you may try sticking some hunks of rebar into the furnace and heat them up the bury them in the sand to warm it up. Taller sprue may also help, use a piece of pipe to extend the sprue's height to get more head pressure (ram some sand up in the pipe with a smaller pipe in the middle so you can get the sprue out when cold) you might check Myfordboys videos on youtube he pours a lot of thin section stuff. I'm sure Harry came think of some stuff that I've not thought about.

Don't give up you will get there, its one of those you change this it effects six other different things.

David

castaway

Post by castaway »

I would try pouring it inverted, letters facing down, and have a riser at the opposite end from the sprue to allow a good vent. I always try and pour with the good side down since that's the side that usually produces has the best finish anyway. Your sand should have enough green strength to allow doing it inverted. Bob

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Me too on the good side down... I also use a pouring cup on everything I pour now for a couple of reasons. One it gives more head pressure and two it gives me an easier to hit hole and three I can see the metal coming up for a little more time... hmmm guess that should have been a few :)

Anyhow I make the pouring cups using a piece of 3" pipe about 3" long stuffed with sand and punch a hole though a little over 1" diameter. I usually use this over and over, get anywhere from a couple to a dozen pours then shake it out and make a new one.

A little extra heat goes a long ways too, it get frustrating to open a mold and find a short pour like that when it happens over and over. I had one part that was giving me fits and it ended up just making sure the metal was a tad hotter than I normally pour and it came out every time.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

I tried using some pouring cups this weekend I really like that so I will keep that up, but adding this flange to my patterns really has set me back on how to get a good pour, I can tell I will like my part much better when I get it down but I still have not... Next thing I need to get a pyrometer so I know what temp im pouring im doing it blind and thats not going to work, so I hope by next sat I have one, till then...
Pour Naked!