Zebra Clutch cover

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
dallen

Re: Zebra Clutch cover

Post by dallen »

that sprue and vent riser look a little close to the flask, hows the petrob0nd doing now that you have made several castings and reused it severl time?

and like Latz said more pictures.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

dallen wrote:that sprue and vent riser look a little close to the flask
I think I read in some book once that you only really need like 1/2" of space between the sprue and the side of the flask...
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Dallen they are about a 1/2-3/4 away im not having any issue with that other than the wood is getting burnt on the edge from overfill at times, the raiser cups help from that now, but I will be casting up some new flasks soon. The petrobond is good a bit clayish at times if its too hot im going to add a couple hundread pounds so I can just mold for a couple hours then melt and pour, now I only have enough for a couple molds and I find myself having to play in the sand box more than I should... I want to be able to have 6 molds ready at a time would make my life much easier... Ill get more pics this weekend.
Pour Naked!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I only use my sand once a day so it will completely cool between making molds. In summer just the rise in temp of the heap will make the sand much more plastic or clayish as you mentioned and in winter if it sits for more than a day I will mull before using even if it has already been mulled, I just run it through with the door open and keep adding more to keep the muller/mixer full and it comes out with nice strength. When it is really cold it gets very dry and powdery.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

I added a couple hundread pounds of petrobond, I really need to get a good muller or build one but seems every week im making more headway, I did realise I made a mistake with the flange though, all it did was to just create a easy path for the melt and not fill I messed with that idea for a month and threw in the towel so to say and back to casting... I will try to get some pics this weekend.
Pour Naked!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Few things you said in there that I am all too familiar with.

Getting hung up on something can really be a pain. Just do it then see where it goes is a good way to keep making progress.

The other thing is related and that is in the making headway along with the small steps along the way. Those small steps really begin to add up, I looked around my foundry today and was really proud of all that I have been able to put together. I mean a $100 crucible here and some found crap tossed together there and in no time you have a functioning metal casting facility.

On the muller, yes this is a big one for using petrobond or even as David has demonstrated using water bonded sand. Being able to process your sand quickly and to a degree that it performs as well as possible is a first step in making molds. A molding bench would also be high on my list, I dont get how these guys that work on the ground do it other than maybe they are a lot younger than I am but for productivity a bench is a must and when I am making parts production is what sets price so every advantage here makes my products more viable.

Anyhow, hang in there Jeff... keep plugging away and before you know it everything will come together and it all just seems right.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

I havent been on in a while been busy with some house work while its been nice out.. But back to the topic... Zebra Covers I better share a finished product..

Pour Naked!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Very nice. Those sure look great.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

Thanks! im still lerning but its been alot of fun, I need to make some new flasks that are a bit deeper as well I think im going to make a side pattern and cast some up might be a good weekend project its going to get cold and storming this weekend so probably a good indoor project for me.
Pour Naked!
dallen

Post by dallen »

great looking cover Jeff
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette