My cannon

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

My cannon

Post by mite5255 »

Welllll seeing that I now have a wood lathe I guess I should try and make a pattern with it and I think a cannon would be an interesting project

Two pieces of pine 50mm x100mm x300mm(2x4x12 inch) glued together with thin cardboard sandwiched between
IMG_0159.JPG
All turned up, the measurements are and not counting the four rings (what are the rings called ) at the back 70mm( 2.75 inch ) at the business end 52 mm (2.04 inch ) with at the moment a core print of 24 mm(0.94 inch ) not to sure yet on what size bore I should have so for the moment 24 mm it is
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG (148.29 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Re: My cannon

Post by Harry »

Nice mike, my brother is still after me to cast him a cannon... one of these days we will get to it.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I'm rather excited about this project and also the fact that I have the wood lathe for pattern making, its also need more torque its rather easy to stop it from spinning but its better than nothing

Mike
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

If you havent done a thick section casting yet this will certainly be a good teacher. Very large BoBs placed close to the part with gating a little larger that you normally would if needed. Another thing with larger pieces is the choke, the fill rate of the part should not go too fast and this is controlled by the use of a choke between the sprue and the Bob. Since I got the 1/2" tapered sprue I have not had to worry about a choke any longer because this sprue works out almost perfectly for the range of parts I currently cast.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

its amazing what you can find inside a block of wood once you have the tools.
Looks good.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

DavidF wrote:its amazing what you can find inside a block of wood once you have the tools.
Looks good.
Yes Dave, very very true

Mike
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Especially when it's a piece of wood that most would pitch in the burn pile.
Nice looking cannon, should keep the feral cats away.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)