Makking patterns for a steam engine

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
DavidF

Re: Makking patterns for a steam engine

Post by DavidF »

Jammer wrote:Looks pretty complex, should keep you busy through the winter months.
Yea I think there is atleast 6 months worth of patterns to make, did make a little more progress today.....
Attachments
IMAG0061.jpg
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

6 months, wow... I can appreciate how time consuming patterns can be but I am thinking maybe you need to put a coffee pot in the shop ;)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Crack that whip Harry, I need it!! Honestly though I work an odd shift and have a hard time finding the time. Im into this core box for about 20 hours allready. Granted im picking the harder patterns and cores to start with and gaining experence as I go, so maybe ill be able to pick up the pace as things progress. But I do need that push to get it done.Push Harry Push !!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:6 months, wow... I can appreciate how time consuming patterns can be but I am thinking maybe you need to put a coffee pot in the shop ;)

I reckon a fridge for cold drinks during the day plus drinks for the end of the day when all the work is done so you can then sit back admire your work and ponder how to take over the world :roll: oops I've just let my little secret out :lol: , or maybe I've just watch to much Pinky and the Brain :lol: :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

If you've ever watched Pinky and the Brain, it was too much. :lol:

David, your still on the rotation type shift? It's surprizing how that effects free time. Your either getting home from work, sleeping or getting ready to go to work. No time to do much of anything else.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes I suppose that job thing could get into the way. I get tied up at times too and cannot seem to get anything done. My wife is on swing shift with an hour commute so she gets home close to midnight and thats when we eat dinner so I know how that goes. At least the days are starting to get longer so I have more time in the evenings. I have also been working on the foundry to make it more user friendly when the cold weather gets back here... like spring for the last week and probably next so I am taking advantage of it.

I think we need a community whip we can pass it around. Something like everyone here has to commit to one active project and if they dont update it in some reasonable amount of time everyone can take turns dishing out lashings.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Yes I suppose that job thing could get into the way. I get tied up at times too and cannot seem to get anything done. My wife is on swing shift with an hour commute so she gets home close to midnight and thats when we eat dinner so I know how that goes. At least the days are starting to get longer so I have more time in the evenings. I have also been working on the foundry to make it more user friendly when the cold weather gets back here... like spring for the last week and probably next so I am taking advantage of it.

I think we need a community whip we can pass it around. Something like everyone here has to commit to one active project and if they dont update it in some reasonable amount of time everyone can take turns dishing out lashings.
Yea that damn shift work can be a pain but it sure pays better then working day shift, I do four days on and four off, two 12 hour days, 24 hrs break then two 12 hour nights

With regards to the whipping Harry,what if I ummmm I mean what if some people out there like a good whipping :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Ok got it all most done, just have to glue it back together then mill out 2 pockets and paint. Its looks like ill be buying some more wood this week and making the pattern that goes with this core box. Ill have to put a little thought into how i want to make the pattern as I want to be able to use it for another type of engine besides this one so the flange will have to be removable and replaceable with another type.
Attachments
IMAG0063.jpg
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Mike what you and the little lady do in your own privacy is you business ;)

Look great David, what kind of cores are you going to be making, gassed or baked?
Muller
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

hey Harry, ill be gassing the cores. I finished glueing them back together yesterday and went to mill the pockets for the hole where the packing gland is and my tapered end mill only cuts 3/4" deep and the pockets need to be 1" deep. So now I have to wait for another end mill before I can finish them. Damn and I was on a roll. Oh well maybe ill hit the store and pick up some more wood and start on the pattern itself......
One thing I am trying to figure out is where to put the sprues and riser at. I wont be casting this piece with the hole in the trunk area. everytime I have bored something with an interupted cut like this there has been an issue with chatter and I you cant hone it out because of the hole. So there will be a couple areas on side of the trunk where they could be attached, but that still leaves the thick flange area that will need to be fed. Any Ideas???