Flask pattern

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Flask pattern

Post by mite5255 »

Its a bit wet here today so I cannot do a great deal so I've decided to try machining a flask pattern out of a chunk of wood on the mill, it did't turn out too bad ether. Timber was a piece of pine 35 x 90 x 335 ( 1.37 x 3.54 x 13.18 inch )
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG
For a bit of draft I placed some ally angle under one edge to tilt it up at an angle, I did all three sides in that manner
IMG_0179.JPG
Last edited by mite5255 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mite5255

Re: Flask pattern

Post by mite5255 »

IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0180.JPG (115.13 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG (108.46 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
This is all I got done, it was starting to get a bit wet under feet so I called it a day, plus we're sitting our two granddaughters to day and wife has now gone to work so poppy's looking after them

Poppy oops Mike :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That looks like a pretty nice pattern Mike. Make the first one real long and cast a master then cut it down a bit at a time and make a master after each cut. One pattern for a whole slew of sizes.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:That looks like a pretty nice pattern Mike. Make the first one real long and cast a master then cut it down a bit at a time and make a master after each cut. One pattern for a whole slew of sizes.
Good point Harry, I'll do another longer and wider then I should have all bases covered

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

what you going to do about line up pins??, you going to cast them on, or bolt em on to the side. how you liking that collet chuck Mike?
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I'll more then likely bolt the alinement pins to the side. I rather like the collet chuck Dave

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

could glue yourself a little block of wood onto each side that would stick out about .5 inches that and what you already have would be enough for a pin the pattern is deep enough on the sides that you can get a good grip on it.

I have to go pick up some stuff for a guy that I have been helping out, while I am at the tool store I think I will pick myself up one for my mill.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette