Fun CNC and Casting project.

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
Jammer

Fun CNC and Casting project.

Post by Jammer »

This is adapted from a post on the other site, it's from a Hotrod site originally. He had used a router to route out his name by hand and poured Pewter in it and busted it out. I routed my son's name in reverse using F-engrave and used the rails on the back half to hold the letters together. Just for this test, I cast the letters with hard type lead. Next time I'll route the letters a little deeper and cast it with Pewter. I have to be a little careful with that, the pewter is $16 to $20 per pound. The Lead is less that $1/pound, I don't have near that much in it. I've several hundred pounds of old letterpress type. The name pattern is still fine and can be used again. The back piece with the rails broke when I tried to get the piece out.
The black on the pattern is graphite to keep it from sticking.
By the way, my son has a 1956 Buick Century.

quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Re: Fun CNC and Casting project.

Post by Nudge »

That looked like it worked quite well :)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:This is adapted from a post on the other site, it's from a Hotrod site originally. He had used a router to route out his name by hand and poured Pewter in it and busted it out. I routed my son's name in reverse using F-engrave and used the rails on the back half to hold the letters together. Just for this test, I cast the letters with hard type lead. Next time I'll route the letters a little deeper and cast it with Pewter. I have to be a little careful with that, the pewter is $16 to $20 per pound. The Lead is less that $1/pound, I don't have near that much in it. I've several hundred pounds of old letterpress type. The name pattern is still fine and can be used again. The back piece with the rails broke when I tried to get the piece out.
The black on the pattern is graphite to keep it from sticking.
By the way, my son has a 1956 Buick Century.

Thats fanbloodytastic :D :D

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Thanks guys, I had trouble getting a good picture, I guess I need to set up a light booth. There was some shrink problems, mostly on the back. I couldn't get much head pressure, I need to think about that for a bit.
Jeff Clark

Post by Jeff Clark »

That looks great Jammer, I noticed we buy the same exhaust tubing....
Pour Naked!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Get in the zone... Autozone! :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

You cut that out of MDF? How many re-casts do you get using that medium for a bullet mold?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I'm not sure. I only cast one but the letter half didn't show much burn at all. I coated it with graphite. The top burnt more for some reason and I broke it trying to get the runner out. I suppose if your careful with temp you could get a dozen or so. You would need a sizer to trim them to size. I think you have to do that anytime you cast your own. It's been a while since I've done any reloading. I have been casting some 45 and 50 cal for black powder, I've got some Lee mold for them.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

No, Jammer... I was refer'n to use'n the MDF "like" a bullet mold as in the case of producing multiple lettering jobs like the one you just did.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Oh, I thought you were stock piling ammo. :)
It would take some time but I could cut 5 a's, 5 A's, 5b's, 5 B's, and so forth. It would almost need some sort of injection or a lot of head pressure. If someone would want something special let me know. I'm really slow at getting things done right now. You do have me thinking F.C., that's always dangerous.
A thicker runner on the back could help with shrinkage, it would still need to be cut off....