Sisters Birthday

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

Sisters Birthday

Post by mite5255 »

Its my sisters 60th birthday on the 2nd of July and here is the pattern of the address sign I'm making for her,

Not only did the R move there is also a sand drop out, plus it look rather bare it needs something else, plus the 18 is too small

Harry suggested awhile back about flourishes so I went to the local Spotlight store ( crafts store ) to see what they had and this is the result, this pattern looks much better, thanks for the suggestion w3 it sure makes a difference

With the new acrylic flourishes, and the 18 move a tad to the left :wink:

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Re: Sisters Birthday

Post by mite5255 »

Success just some cleaning up and some paint needed

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice Mike, looks like it has a real nice finish to it... what kind of treatment are you planning for it? I almost picked up one of those cheap powder coating setups last time I was at Harbor Freight.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

powder coating now that would be handy, I'm thinking cream back ground with ether gold or brown letters and flourishes

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

All done :D .I do need to practice my painting technique tho, it sure looks better in the photo
Mike

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looks real good to me Mike. One thing that might be worth trying is a rubber printers roller. You roll it in the paint then dab it off by rolling on a cloth then roll over the letters. It puts the paint on real light so no extra globs to go over the edges though it may take a few coats.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Looks real good to me Mike. One thing that might be worth trying is a rubber printers roller. You roll it in the paint then dab it off by rolling on a cloth then roll over the letters. It puts the paint on real light so no extra globs to go over the edges though it may take a few coats.
Bloody good idea Harry,I will certainly give that a try next time

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Its my sister birthday is this Friday and she received the plaque today, welllllll she phoned me too say thanks and she absolutely loves it, said she didn't know she had such a talented brother:-). she actually did't know it was aluminum, she though it was concrete, her son placed it rather hard on the table and she said be careful its concrete and you'll break it, he said mum this ain't concrete its metal, she didn't believe him:-)

Mike
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thats funny Mike, easy to imagine though that someone would have an easier time making something like this out of some kind of resin or cement rather than metal though. Was she curious about what the hell you are doing melting metal?

It did come out very nice, could not have "bought" a better gift.
Muller
_FL_

Post by _FL_ »

What a nice gift!

There is a documentary series called "LIVE AFTER PEOPLE". I really like the idea behind it. Maybe someday far away day (500years+ ?) one of the remaining things is your plate. And a glas of honey, if the cap was good enough.

Return to “The Pattern Shop”