New sump extension pattern

Pattern making is an art, either by machine or traditional it is the key to success in casting.
mite5255

New sump extension pattern

Post by mite5255 »

When ever I try picking up or moving something that has a bit of weight I end up injuring myself, so the alloy rocker cove that I'd planned on making has been put on the back burner because the flask full of sand will be way too heavy for me to move about, so untill I get some lifting arrangement set up it will have to wait. Soooo for now I'll do small stuff. I'll start on a new XS650 sump extension pattern (http://founddreaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=243 The old one has seen its day so I had better get cracking. the old pattern was rather difficult to lift from the sand, so this time I'll make a core box

Bottom of the photo is the pattern, which still needs work, this extension will have cooling fins in the leading edge, so I'll leave groves on the pattern and finish on the mill with a ball mill when cast. top of the photo is the core box, and it still needs a lot of cleaning up

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: New sump extension pattern

Post by dallen »

good to see someone's doing foundry related stuff, its finally gonna warm up here some it looks like, but I have to run to tulsa for a couple of days anyway its a chance to make a couple of bucks doing some machine work for a guy I know up there. hope to make enough to get the rest of the stuff for my router.

nice looking wood that one of them Australian hard woods, looks like it would make some nice knife handles.
I see your pet frog is watching you.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:good to see someone's doing foundry related stuff, its finally gonna warm up here some it looks like, but I have to run to tulsa for a couple of days anyway its a chance to make a couple of bucks doing some machine work for a guy I know up there. hope to make enough to get the rest of the stuff for my router.

nice looking wood that one of them Australian hard woods, looks like it would make some nice knife handles.
I see your pet frog is watching you.

DA
Dave its called Kwila http://www.livingontheoutside.com.au/cu ... stions.php Its a very hard hardwood that comes from around the Pacific rim plus northern Australia. I have put it in my mill and have used fly cutters and end-mills on it and it mills beautifully in my opinion, turns fantastic on a lathe If I could get some past your customs I would send you a sample ;) you don't happen to know someone that works for the US customs :lol: :lol:

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I just did a quick check and I may be able to post you a sample, I do think you would like it Dave, PM me your address and I'll see how I go next week

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

WOW thanks, check for a PM.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:WOW thanks, check for a PM.
I'll post it next week Dave
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

ah yes, the frog lol
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

My "lifting arrangement" was a 16 year old. When he turned 18 girls became way more important and now he's 400 miles away. I moved, he hasn't found me yet. :)
Looks like a fun project. Is it still 100F there? We got a very unusual 3 inches of snow last night. It's melting pretty fast today. Supposed to be in the 60's next week.
Mike, snow is what's left after you drink all the good stuff out of a blended Margarita!
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:My "lifting arrangement" was a 16 year old. When he turned 18 girls became way more important and now he's 400 miles away. I moved, he hasn't found me yet. :)
Looks like a fun project. Is it still 100F there? We got a very unusual 3 inches of snow last night. It's melting pretty fast today. Supposed to be in the 60's next week.
Mike, snow is what's left after you drink all the good stuff out of a blended Margarita!
Wife does not want me using our son, he's a bit like a bull at a gate when he's doing things and she worried that he may pick up some knowledge and want to do some casting at his place, hes already told the wife he'd like to learn and wife told me NO because he will hurt his self, there is a bit more to this which I cannot go into
I'm not aloud to have drinks that take ice Jerry :roll: I love rum and coke, and I love it a bit to much :lol: in a past life I have been known to drink a 750mm bottle of op rum on my own in one drinking session, so just the good old fashion beer for me :lol: :lol:

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I'll be redoing the core box, that one looks like shit and there is three undercuts, so the next will be a three piece core box. Don't know if I'll get much done on it next week, with work commitments and a few other things that are happening.

Mike